Lençóis Maranhenses Sand Dunes Half-Day Tour with Sunset
The Lençóis Maranhenses sand dunes are located on the eastern coast of Maranhão. The tour departs from the municipality of Barreirinhas which is the main gateway to this fantastic natural beauty. The Lençóis Maranhenses National Park is considered a rare geological formation on the planet, presenting a unique and very rich ecosystem. The dunes span from the coast to 15 miles inland, and in between the sand dunes are countless clear lagoons. These lagoons are formed with the rains of the rainy season that ranges from December to July. This tour will take you to this grand, unique National Park. We visit different lagoons depending on time of year: Lagoa Azul (May to August) Lagoa Esperança (September to April).
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional Guide - portuguese speaking
- Round-trip transportation to most hotels located in Barreirinhas
- Transportation in 4x4 vehicle
- Tour through (Lagoa Azul - May to August / Lagoa Esperança - September to April)
What's excluded :
- Food and Drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Rio Preguicas, Rua Cazuza Ramos, 328, Cruzeiro, Barreirinhas, State of Maranhao 65590-000 Brazil
After pick up at the hotels, you will proceed to one of the most popular and beautiful itineraries in the region, the Lagoa Bonita Circuit, located in the Lençóis Maranhenses National Park. Located on the banks of the Preguiças River, it has 155 thousand hectares of stunning scenery, full of dunes up to 40 meters high and lagoons of fresh and crystalline water. You will cross the Preguiças River through Ferry Boat to continue your journey,
Stop At: Lencois Maranhenses National Park, Lencois Maranhenses National Park, State of Maranhao
You will continue your journey in a 4x4 vehicle where you will cover a trail (15 km) that takes an average of 1 hour to reach the bottom of the dunes. From there begins a walk (how about bare feet to feel the sand?) through the sands of the dunes, highlighting a steeper climb, 30 meters high, but done with the help of a rope
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Lagoa Bonita e Lagoa Azul, Parque Nacional dos Lencois Maranhenses, Barreirinhas, State of Maranhao 65590-000 Brazil
At the end of the trail ride, you will begin a walk in the sand (shoes optional, if you want to walk with bare feet to feel the sand) where you will catch beautiful views of the park. You will also see several lagoons that are formed by seasonal rains. Depending on time of year, you can enjoy a refreshing swim in Lagoa Azul (May to August) and marvel at the sunset show. After the day’s activities you will then return to Barreirinhas with arrival scheduled for 7 pm.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Lagoa da Esperanca, Barreirinhas, Lencois Maranhenses National Park, State of Maranhao 65590-000 Brazil
At the end of the trail ride, you will begin a walk in the sand (shoes optional, if you want to walk with bare feet to feel the sand) where you will catch beautiful views of the park. You will also see several lagoons that are formed by seasonal rains. Depending on time of year, you can enjoy a refreshing swim in Lagoa da Esperança (September to April) and marvel at the sunset show. After the day’s activities you will then return to Barreirinhas with arrival scheduled for 7 pm.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up from most hotels located in Barreirinhas. Please stay at the hotel lobby 10 minutes before pick up time.
Departure Time :2:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Wear light clothing. Also bring a swim suit to enjoy the Lagoons.
- A stop will be made at a market so you can buy water, soda, fruit and cookies (alcoholic drinks are not allowed in the park).
- Don't forget to bring sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses.
- It is important to note that the lagoons change every rainy season and also from one week to another, depending on the amount of rain and the dry season.
- Most travelers can participate
- We visit different lagoons depending on time of year: Lagoa Azul (May to August) Lagoa Esperança (September to April).
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Additional measures might be added to our list of procedures as we receive guidance from the local health and safety authorities and as more information becomes available. And some of these restrictions might be lifted at some point in the future if we are authorized to do so by local authorities
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.