London's Alternative History Tour Self-guided Audio Walk by VoiceMap
If you like humorous history, quirky facts, and solving mysteries, this delightful wander in the heart of London is for you! We will walk around some of London's world famous areas and familiar landmarks as you are entertained with stories of the city—but trust me, it's not the stuff you learned at school. This tour utilises state of the art GPS technology to “autoplay” as you walk, and can be downloaded and used whenever suits you. It uses the VoiceMap mobile app, which also works offline. Maximise your experience of London with this walk – whether it is your first time in the city, or you’re a local who's curious about the secrets the city has to offer, this is a great intro to London's alternative history.
per adult from
What's included :
- Lifetime access to 'London's Alternative History Tour'
- VoiceMap Application
- Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
What's excluded :
- Tickets or entrance fees to any museums or other attractions en route
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Covent Garden Piazza, Cranbourn St, West End, London WC2H 7AR, UK
This tour is about experiencing the hidden sides of London that were right in front of your eyes but you never noticed. Take a dive into the deep end of London’s quirky history as we move through tales of religion, drinking, and even a bit of 1800’s brothel banter. We will discover the secret behind the flowing of the River Thames, the origins of the name Covent Garden, and try to solve the mystery of the world famous Theatre Royal Drury Lane. All you have to do is open the VoiceMap app, put in your headphones and start the tour. You will be guided through the streets by the voice of acclaimed local guide Joey Leskin without even having to take your phone out of your pocket – except to take photos, of course!
Key highlights include:
- How the Americans stole coffee from the British—honest!
- The only street in London where we drive backwards
- London's most notorious brothel, and the extinct police force that shut it down
- London's last original Victorian gas lamp
The tour begins in Covent Garden and zig zags around the area, finishing not far away from the starting point. It has a total walking distance of around 2km and takes just over an hour without stopping. There are plenty of cafes, restaurants and pubs all along the route for a quick (or lengthy!) break, however, and you can pause and resume the tour as many times as you like. Once you have downloaded it, the tour is yours to keep.
Local tip: The Coal Hole pub, at the very end of the tour, is a great historical venue to enjoy a well-deserved drink!
Pass By: Lyceum Theatre, 21 Wellington Street Covent Garden, London WC2E 7RQ England
Where the Lion King is hosted, but you'll hear about the Lyceum's decidedly non-PG history.
Pass By: St Paul's Church, Coffey Street Mary Ann Gardens, Deptford, London SE8 3DS England
We'll describe the strange features of this Church and how they came to be.
Pass By: Somerset House, The Strand, London WC2R 1LA England
We'll visit the Somerset House courtyard and I'll tell you why I think this is London's finest square.
Pass By: Savoy Theatre, Savoy Court Strand Strand, London WC2R 0ET England
Hear the story behind the world's (not just London's) first public building to use electricity throughout.
Departure Point :The Piazza, 1-7 Covent Garden, West End, London WC2E 8HA, UK
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 2/23/2019 - 12/31/2020
1/1/2021 - 10/20/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Return Detail :The Savoy Hotel, Strand, London WC2R 0EZ, UK
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- This tour is wheelchair accessible with one caveat: part of the final portion of the tour after Waterloo Bridge has staircases – wheelchair users can stay on bridge-level and proceed to the final two stops which are on the same level.
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.