Lonely Planet Experiences: New Orleans History and Cocktails Small-Group Tour
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures.
Enjoy some classy cocktail samples in New Orleans’ famous French Quarter and get to grips with the city’s outstanding cocktail culture. Avoid the tourist traps and visit a heady mix of famous spots, historic haunts and hidden gems with us. You’ll learn about cocktail folklore and hear stories about the ‘The Big Easy,’ both old and new, as you sip away at our favorite local concoctions. By the end of this thirst-quenching tour, Urban Adventures is sure to provide you with all the information you need to know about New Orleans drinking culture!
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide,
- Snacks - A small snack.
- Alcoholic Beverages - Cocktail samples - Cocktail portions vary throughout the tour.
What's excluded :
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Jackson Square, 615 Pere Antoine Alley, New Orleans, LA 70116-3234
You’ll begin your tour in the most iconic spot in New Orleans, Jackson Square.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: French Quarter, New Orleans, LA
From here, the best and most historic bars of The French Quarter are all within a stone’s throw. Don’t expect to spend much time on Bourbon Street though. While it has its place in New Orleans nightlife, we will be going beyond the tourist trail to show you what really makes New Orleans cocktail culture unique.
For our first stop we will travel back to the 1700s and visit a bar which used to entertain some of the most eccentric characters in New Orleans history. Here, we will taste a famous drink of the city and learn how it has influenced New Orleans drinking culture today.
In a town bearing witness to many hangovers and a place where it’s socially acceptable to drink at any time of day, it’s no surprise New Orleans has a wide range of delicious dessert-like cocktails. On this tour, we will visit one of your guide’s favorite bars and taste a drink so good you’ll forget there’s alcohol in it.
Next up, we will sample the ‘official cocktail of New Orleans’: the Sazerac. One of the first cocktails ever invented, it’s definitely tasty enough to stand the test of time. We will also touch upon the topic of how medicine influenced Sazerac and other cocktails, too.
From here, we will taste another classic New Orleans invention, while exploring some of the oldest bars and restaurants in the French Quarter. We’ll also get a behind-the-scenes peek into a courtyard oasis, a stunning hidden feature that makes these buildings special, giving well-known customers a classy room to drink in, hidden away from plain sight.
Last but not least, we will visit one of the classiest establishments in New Orleans to try one of the city’s most esteemed drinks, the Ramos Gin Fizz. You’ll learn why this drink is original and exclusive to New Orleans and witness your expert bartender making it. After your first sip, you’ll truly understand why New Orleans has been called, “the cradle of civilized drinking.”
To conclude the tour, your guide will be happy to suggest even more great local creations so you can continue your tour of the extensive New Orleans cocktail trail.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Departure Point :Jackson Square, New Orleans, LA 70116, USA
Return Detail :New Orleans, LA 70116, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- This tour features a couple of cocktails which include dairy ingredients such as eggs and/or milk. Discounts are available for vegans or people with lactose-intolerance, and the guide can assist with recommendations for customers to purchase his/her own drinks during the tour.
- Travelers under the age of 21 are not allowed on this tour.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.