Lonely Planet Experiences: Private Santorini Tour with Local Wine & Tapas
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures. Santorini is a special place like no other and this tour captures the best of the island along with tons of hidden gems you might not get to see without a local by your side. Explore off the beaten path as you visit traditional villages, discover whitewashed back alleys, see an amazing beach with a spectacular lunar-like landscape, and end on a delicious note with a tasting of local wines and seasonal tapas.
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- 1 coffee
- 1 local sweet
- 4 glasses of wine (wine tasting)
- Local seasonal tapas
- Entry/Admission - Tomato Industrial Museum, D.Nomikos
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Hotel Santorini, Thera 847 00, Greece
We’ll start our tour from Fira, the capital and the busiest town of the island. Bypassing the tourist traps, we’ll discover the artistic side of Santorini with a walk through Fira’s whitewashed back alleys where local artists exhibit their work such as paintings, sculptures, and other unique creations.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Oia 847 02, Greece
Moving on, we’ll visit the fabulous village of Oia, Santorini’s crown jewel, where we’ll explore off the beaten track to discover the back alleys of a pastel-coloured neighbourhood that you might never find without a local by your side!
Before leaving Oia, we’ll visit a beloved independent bookstore housed in a stunning whitewashed building. Named the world’s best bookstore by National Geographic, it’s easy to fall in love with this place even if you aren’t the biggest book lover in the world.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Castelli of Emporio, Emporio Greece
Continuing our tour in Santorini, we’ll visit the best-preserved castle-village on the island, where the buildings are still inhabited. While exploring this peaceful settlement, we’ll wander through the narrow alleys steeped in medieval charm, then stop for coffee and a traditional spoon sweet in a local cafe.
On our next stop, you’ll discover the historic hiding grounds of the locals during pirate raids and then head to a secluded beach where we’ll enjoy its unique, lunar-like yellow landscape.
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
Stop At: Tomato Industrial Museum, D.Nomikos, Vlychada Beach, Vlychada 84700 Greece
We’ll then get familiar with Santorini’s famous cherry tomatoes. In a historic factory we’ll hear stories of local farmers who once reached the area with mules laden with baskets of ripe tomatoes ready to be turned into the island’s indigenous tomato paste.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Megalochori - Traditional Village, Megalochori Greece
Moving on to our last stop now, it’s time for some local food and wine! You’ll enjoy a 4-glass wine tasting in an authentic, old school winery where Vinsanto and other delicious wines are made the traditional way, and snack on mouth-watering local mezedes (local tapas) alongside your wine.
Before you go, don't forget to ask your local guide for more tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Remember to write your designated pickup and drop-off area when you book. This service is free. Departure location: at your request anywhere in Santorini, Hotel, Port, Airport, Cable Car in Fira Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time.Airports
- Santorini Airport, Greece
- Santorini Cruise Port
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- Remember to write your designated pickup and drop-off area when you book. This service is free. Departure location: at your request anywhere in Santorini, Hotel, Port, Airport, Cable Car in Fira Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge.
- We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests.
- Most travelers can participate
- By visiting places far from mass tourism you are helping to reduce over tourism that poses a risk to Santorini’s main towns. Instead, this tour supports and collaborates with smaller local communities that follow a more traditional way of life.
- You will also visit an unknown underground church of great cultural importance in a small village, which encourage a conservation around cultural heritage. Your visit also helps the elderly keyholder who preserves the church.
- Supporting young artists and local shop owners helps to increase their income during Greece’s economic problems, preserve local art, and promote the creativity of new generations.
- By visiting a historic factory turned into a museum, this tour is financially supporting the local foundation responsible for ensuring it can continue its work on preserving Santorini’s unique culture.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.