Lonely Planet Experiences: Private Walking Tour of Charming Charleston
One of America's oldest cities - and one of its wealthiest preceding the Civil War - a visit to Charleston is a walk through the pages of the country's history books.
With nearly four centuries of history, Charleston is jam-packed with stories waiting to be heard. Let yourself be transported into the romanticism of the painted houses and the beautiful waterfront. Enjoy the easy stroll the city - Charleston is a flat city, and perfect for anyone looking to enjoy a day at a leisurely pace.
On your private walking tour, your guide will discuss with you the first few centuries of the city - the way the slave-trade evolved over the years, and the way the system made Charleston the wealthiest city in the South; then hear how the Civil War dismantled and destroyed the city's infrastructure. To walk in Charleston is to grapple with the complexity of its past, while seeing the work it has done and continues to do to make its Southern hospitality inclusive and sincere to all.
per adult from
What's included :
- Entrance to the Old Slave Mart Museum
- A light bite and a drink
- A friendly, professional tour guide for your own private group
- Plenty of time to take photos of your favourite places
What's excluded :
- Food and drink, although your guide will be happy to recommend local favourites along the way
- Gratuities (optional)
- Cost of hotel pick up/drop off. Your guide will accompany you in a taxi or by public transport.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Rainbow Row, 79 E Bay St # 107, Charleston, SC 29401-2544
Start at the picturesque Rainbow Row and learn about why houses have maintained their colourful facades through the years
Stop At: Old Slave Mart Museum, 6 Chalmers St, Charleston, SC 29401-3005
Tour the only still existing place where slaves were sold at auction, the Old Slave Mart Museum
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: French Huguenot Church, 136 Church St At the corner of Church and Queen sts., Charleston, SC 29401-2802
See the only still-practicing French Huguenot Church in the country
Pass By: Joe Riley Waterfront Park, Concord Street, Charleston, SC 29401-2129
Enjoy a walk along the coastline in Joe Riley Waterfront Park
Stop At: Charleston City Market, 188 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29401-3155
Stroll the stalls of crafts, produce, and local fare at the Historic Charleston City Market. End your tour with a snack and drink at the market, while your guide gives you recommendations for the rest of your time in the charming, old city
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :The Walled City of Charles Town, 82 E Bay St, Charleston, SC 29401, USA
Return Detail :Historic Charleston City Market, 188 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29401, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.