Lonely Planet Experiences: Sugarloaf Mountain & Urca Highlights Tour
Experience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Urban Adventures.
Embrace the Carioca lifestyle on this tour that teaches you how to be a true Rio local! Visit the original city neighborhood of Urca, where you’ll sample local flavors, ride around the local way, and get a whole new perspective on Rio de Janeiro with a view from way up high! Get to know the lovely neighbourhood of Urca, where the city of Rio de Janeiro was founded. Discover why Cariocas love having a beer by the “mureta da Urca”. Savour some delicious empadinhas (stuffed pastries) from a local vendor. Ride the famous cable car from Praia Vermelha up to Urca Hill and the Sugarloaf summit. Treat yourself to amazing views of Guanabara Bay, Copacabana, and downtown Rio from the top of Sugarloaf Mountain.
per adult from
4 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Transportation during the tour
- Cable car ticket up Sugarloaf Mountain.
What's excluded :
- Tips/gratuities for your guide.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Urca, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22290-240 Brazil
On this Rio de Janeiro tour, start where it all began by exploring one of Rio’s quieter neighborhoods, Urca. You’ll discover the cozy streets of this district that just also happens to be where Rio de Janeiro was officially founded as a city. Take the subway to Botafogo so you can experience how locals get around Rio while also getting an orientation to the city.
Pass By: Claudio Coutinho Trail, Praia Vermelha Sugar Loaf, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22290-270 Brazil
Hopping off at Urca beach, wander along the coast to one of locals’ favourite hot spots in town: the Urca wall, or like Cariocas like to call it, the “mureta da Urca.” Here, grab a beer and you’ll get to taste Rio’s best range of stuffed empadinhas — pastries similar to a pie. Follow along the inner streets lined with some of Urca’s first houses. Then, it’s time to head to the Red Beach for a must-stop at the Claudio Coutinho walking path. This path leads adventurous hikers to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain — but don’t worry if you didn’t bring your hiking boots, you can take the cable car up instead.
Pass By: Sugarloaf Mountain, Av. Pasteur, 520 - Urca, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22290-255 Brazil
On the journey to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain, stop first atop Urca Hill, where you’ll get your first breathtaking moment enjoying the Botafogo inlet right below us. Proceed to the second cable car for another ride to reach the summit of Sugarloaf Mountain. This is the perfect finale for your tour, as the stunning 360-degree view will show you why Rio is known as ‘the Marvelous City.’
Departure Point :Belmond Copacabana Palace, Av. Atlântica, 1702 - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, 22021-001, Brazil
Departure Time :1:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge.
- Please wear light, comfortable clothes for walking, and bring a hat and sunscreen.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.