Magic Mangrove Paddle in Beef Island Lagoon
A gentle paddle safari by kayak or SUP (stand-up paddleboard) that weaves through an untouched mangrove lagoon on Beef Island, Tortola, British Virgin Islands. If you're looking for a short excursion in the BVI, this small-group local-guided tour is perfect. There's an abundance of wild nature in these mangrove forests, also known as 'the nurseries of the sea', which are home to juvenile marine life of all kinds including turtles, stingrays, baby sharks and barracuda. This is a wonderful way to enjoy the pristine BVI ecosystem, see raw nature up close and learn all about the sea, the land and the culture around you.
per adult from
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local guide
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Rendezvous at the secret starting point on Beef Island. Whether coming by car or taxi, we'll give you detailed directions on where to meet. After a brief safety talk, we'll fit you with all the equipment you need – life vests, paddles and your choice of kayak or SUP. First we get used to the craft. SUP only takes about 10 mins to learn, kayaking much less, and we'll happily offer expert tips on how to proceed. Then we'll head outside the fringing reef with its vibrant corals and sea fans. In this deeper water we might see turtles, rays and schools of bonito or jacks.
Once at the entrance, we'll paddle into the lagoon itself. Here the water is shallow and clear. To maximize visibility we'll head to whichever edge is best protected from the breeze – areas of completely still water offering a lens into the underwater world. A word on seeing fish: we don't ever feed the marine life. We respect the untouched nature of this ecosystem, preferring not to interfere. For this reason, we can't guarantee that we'll see baby sharks because that is up to nature!
From the larger main lagoon we'll paddle into a shallow area full of baby mangroves. This is an excellent place to spot wildlife and crazy creatures like the caseopea andromeda. Next we'll head through the most dense part of the mangrove forest, taking our time to see what's swimming around. Keep your eyes skyward too, looking out for numerous types of birds from pelicans to mangrove cuckoos and even a pair of ospreys.
Midway through the paddle we'll enjoy walking around on a small coral island. The atoll perfectly shows the dynamic physical and biological processes that create these lagoons and this complex environment. It's also a great time for visitors to ask your local guide questions and learn about everything from the modern BVI to the real tales of pirates on the islands. We won't overload you, but if you have areas of interest about the BVI, we can offer informed insights.
Once back on the water, we'll continue nosing into nooks, crannies and deep coves in the mangrove network. Soon, the loop is almost complete and after 20-30 minutes, you'll be back at the start. The total excursion time is about 1.5-2 hours. While seeing the marine life highlights - turtles, barracuda, rays and sharks - is something that attracts potential customers, by the end of the paddle, almost everyone is truly thrilled by the location itself and the serenity of this immersive experience in nature.
Departure Point :Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Departure Time :Flexible
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Refunds will not be issued if tour/activity is missed due to late or non-arrival of cruise ship
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.