Magical Inishbofin Island on the Connemara Coast from Galway including Lunch
Come and discover Inishbofin or (Inis Bo Finne-Island of the White Cow in Irish), which lies seven miles (11 km) off Galway’s north-west coast. The island is five by three miles (4.8 km) long and the main activities on the island today are tourism, farming and fishing. There are five villages: West Quarter, Fawnmore, Middle Quarter, Cloonamore and Knock.
Inishbofin has lots of interesting things to see and do, such as many species of birds, historical sites, white beaches, swimming, hill walks and shore angling. It is also a centre for traditional Irish music and song with its own Ceilí band.
With this tour you take a bus trip from Galway city to Cleggan harbour, then a ferry trip over to the island to experience the unique life of this magical island. Enjoy a delicious light lunch of local foods and craft beer, with a walk around the island before departing by ferry then bus back to Galway city.
per adult from
What's included :
- Return public bus transportation from Galway city
- Light lunch
- Alcoholic Beverages
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Inishbofin Island Ireland
Departing central Galway city at 8.30am, hop on the public bus (transport cost included in this package) to Cleggan, County Galway. Traveling through Connemara through Oughterard village, pass the famous Quiet Man Bridge through Connemara's capital Clifden and on to the fishing village of Cleggan to catch the ferry from the pier at the harbour.
Arrive in Cleggan and explore the village before making your way to the ferry. Depart Cleggan by ferry to discover the island time capsule that is Inishbofin. The island was inhabited as far back as 8000-4000 B.C. The first documented history of the island dates from early Christian times. Sailing into the harbour you will see Cromwell’s 16th Century Barracks, which was used as a prison for catholic priests from all over the country after the English Statute of 1585 declared them guilty of high treason.
At midday you will arrive on Inishbofin. Explore this fascinating island and have lunch at a local restaurant/pub. For lunch it's recommended you have the dressed crab sandwich and a local craft beer, all containing local ingredients. Other tasty options are also available. Several safe sandy beaches strewn with shells and with crystal clear water make stand up paddling, swimming and snorkeling a joy. The islands waters make for spectacular diving. Inishbofin is a breeding area for many species of birds. For the adventurous there are hill walks and excellent shore angling. Inishbofin is a centre for traditional Irish music and song with its own Ceilí band.
Depart from Inishbofin Island by ferry. This is the last ferry of the day so please make sure to arrive 15 minutes before departure!
Approximately 45 minutes later you arrive in Cleggan and depart for return journey to Galway city by public bus. Ten minutes from Clifden you will pass Ballynahinch Castle, one of Granuailes (famous pirate queen) on an island in Ballynahinch Lough. On the remaining journey you will travel through the wilds of Connemara and pass by the Maamturk and Twelve Ben mountain ranges.
You will arrive back in Galway city centre at approx. 8pm to finish off the day.
Duration: 7 hours
Departure Point :Galway Coach Station, Fairgreen Rd, Galway, H91 C2VX, Ireland
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Bus and ferry tickets will be supplied after booking. Please print out and bring with you to validate.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Please wear a life jacket when near or close to water.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.