Mahabalipuram day trip from Chennai by Wonder tours
Mamallapuram (also called Mahaballipuram) is about an hour's drive from Chennai on the East Coast Road. It was the second capital and seaport of the Pallava Kings who ruled in the 5th century. Local legend has it that there was once a beautiful city here with seven temples, which the Gods submerged under the sea in anger.until in 2002, an Indo-British team of divers discovered a series of man-made structures under water, covering an area of several square miles.Today at Mamallapuram, you can see the famous Shore Temple, the only surviving temple out of the original seven (the rest have sunk under the sea). The Shore Temple is among the oldest temples of South India and represents the final flowering of Pallava art. Arjuna's Penance, one of the world's biggest bas-reliefs depicts the story of the descent of the River Ganges from Heaven to Earth. Cave temples and massive monolithic sculptures (carved from a single large block of granite) make Mamallapuram a place to remember.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Mahabalipuram
- Entry/Admission - Pancha Rathas
- Entry/Admission - Arjuna's Penance
- Entry/Admission - India Seashell Museum
- Entry/Admission - Krishna's Butter Ball
- Entry/Admission - Shore Temple
- Entry/Admission - Hotel Mamalla Bhavan
What's excluded :
- Personal expenses
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Pancha Rathas, Kancheepuram District, Mahabalipuram 603104 India
Make the first stop of the day at the Pancharathas, or five chariots, a series of monolithic temples built by the Pallavas.These are rock cut monolith temples structures built in the 7th century. Each of the 5 rathas or chariots are dedicated to the lead cast of the Mahabharat epic- Draupadi, Arjuna, Nakul-Sahadeva, Bhima and Yudhister. There is also a sculpture of an elephant next to the ratha of Nakul-Sahadeva. Once you stand towards the rear of the elephant you will notice that there is an uncanny resemblance between the rear of the chariot and the elephant.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Arjuna's Penance, West Raja Street Near Ganesha Ratha, Mahabalipuram 603104 India
We next visit Arjuna’s Penace, a bas-relief monument that’s considered one of India’s most magnificent pieces of ancient art, depicting vivid scenes from the Mahabharata. The relief is 100 feet long and 45 feet tall! The main story being told is how Arjuna, one of the Pandava brothers, performed severe austerities in order to obtain Lord Shiva's weapon.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: India Seashell Museum, Kalpakkam Road, Mahabalipuram 603104 India
The 40000+ collection of Sea Shells is a singular effort of Raja Mohamad who spent 33 years to collect these items from around the world.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Krishna's Butter Ball, E Raja St, Mahabalipuram 603104 India
The next stop is Krishna’s Butterball, a granite boulder that’s poised on a stony slope. This curious boulder seems to defy Newton's laws of gravity and has not moved an inch despite being in this precarious position on the slope for more than a thousand years.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Shore Temple Rd, Mahabalipuram 603104 India
Our last port of call is the Shore Temple. The magnificent temple overlooks the Bay of Bengal and was an important centre during the reign of the Pallavas when Mahabalipuram was the main port of their Kingdom. Built by King Raja Simha during the early 8th century, the Shore Temple is a landmark in the architectural landscape of India. Marco Polo referred to this as the seven pagodas. The existing temple is the last surviving of the 7 which once stood as a beacon for sea farers.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Hotel Mamalla Bhavan, S Mada St, near Sthala Sayan Perumal Temple, Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu 603104, India
We have the Lunch in Hotel Mamalla bhavan.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Our tour guide will meet and pick up you from all hotels in Chennai.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.