Malyovitsa Peak Snowshoeing Tour (2729m)
Experience one of the most majestic peaks in Bulgaria – Malyovitsa!
With its impressive height of 2729m, it gazes over a beautiful valley which we will cross on our way to the top. The entire area has an important significance for Bulgarian climbing, mountaineering, and skiing. Mostly visited by locals it is a very well kept secret for the majority of foreign tourists. Malyovitsa has a particular authenticity and a special Balkan vibe.
We will start our ascent from 1700m and continue to Malyovitsa Hut where we will stay overnight. The next day we will make our way towards the peak.
Join us on an exciting snowshoeing adventure in the northwest of Rila mountain, Bulgaria!
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Equipment (snowshoes, hiking poles, ice axe, crampons)
- Overnight accommodation in Malyovitsa Ski Hut
- Dinner & Breakfast
- Local Insurance
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- ~ Itinerary ~
Day 1: Starting point is the area of Malyovitsa (1730 m.), 1,5 hours drive from Sofia. 1 hour trek to Malyovitsa Hut (1960 m.), our overnight accommodation for tonight. Additional walk and familiarizing with the equipment.
Day 2: Early morning ascent to the top of Malyovitsa (2729 m.) and descend back to yesterday’s starting point in the afternoon. Totally 6 hours, +800/-1000 m.
~ What to bring ~
• Local Insurance (included in the price)
• Pocket money
• Hiking boots – waterproof and warm, above the ankle, stiff sole
• Water and windproof jacket with a hood
• Water and windproof trousers
• Warm hat, thin pair of winter gloves/mittens
• Thermal underwear, light down jacket or a warm fleece
• Sun protection – sun cream, sunglasses, sun hat
• Snowshoes and trekking poles (included in the price)
• Crampons and ice axe (included in the price)
• Personal Rescue Equipment – beacon, shovel, probe
• Water bottle or, preferably, flask – 1/1,5l
• Snacks, lunch pack
~ Difficulty ~
The program is challenging and is suitable for individuals with some previous hiking and winter walking experience.
~ About the area ~
The valley of Malyovitsa is situated in the northwest parts of Rila Mountains – easily accessible from the capital Sofia, it is a good weekend, or even a day, destination. About an hour and a half drive via the town of Samokov and village of Govedartsi takes you at 1730 m. elevation where a small ski area is placed. There are a few ski runs and one of them is proud with, as the legends say, “the oldest drag lift on the Balkans” still operating – which makes it a marginal place for piste skiing. But the reason for most of the people to come here is higher up – where you enter the area of Rila National Park, the valley gets narrower and surrounded by an impressive peaks.
About an hour away from the ski center and above the tree line is located Malyovitsa hut – the main base for hikers, climbers and skiers in this area. Dominating the view is mount Malyovitsa (2729 m.) – with its vertical north wall it it considered as a symbol of the Bulgarian alpinism. Not seen from the valley but not less impressive are the other high peaks in the area, including the highest – Golyam Kupen (2731 m.) The main hiking route goes to the top of Malyovitsa (average 2,5-3 hours up).
Departure Point :Central Mountain School „Malyovitsa“, местност "Меча поляна", на десния бряг на река Мальовица, 2020, Bulgaria
Traveler pickup is offered
To be discussed after need for transport has been confirmed by the customer.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.