Manaslu Circuit and Tsum Valley Trek
Since these track notes were first written in 2010 there have been huge changes on the Manaslu- Tsum trek. In season, it is now easily done as a 20-day lodge trek with accommodation available every night. More than 10,000 copies of these track notes have been downloaded so I have fully updated them following our latest visit.
The Manaslu Valley Trek is more remote and spectacular than many, with rough steep tracks and less than luxurious accommodation. It is culturally fascinating with strong continuing links to Tibet in the upper Buri Gandaki (called Nupri ‘the western mountains’) and the Tsum Valley, and even has the Larkya La (5160m) as a challenge. The views of Mt Manaslu, eighth highest mountain in the world, are marvellous and close.
per adult from
1 to 22 days
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Guided City tour in Kathmandu covering 4 UNESCO heritage sites
- Private Jeep transport Kathmandu to Soti Khola (trail foot)
- Sharing jeep transport Tal (trail head) to Besishar and private transport to Kathmandu
- Full meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner on your choice
- Supplementary snacks: energy bar and cookies
- Seasonal fresh fruits deserts every day
- Unlimited Chlorine treated Safe Drinking water
- All mountain accommodation (soft comfortable private room/share bathroom)
- An experienced English-speaking Govt. registered professional trekking guide and Sherpa porters to carry luggage (2 trekkers: 1 porter)
- Guide & porter salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- A comprehensive First Aid kit
- All government and local taxes
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Lunch & Dinner in Kathmandu
- City entrance fees
- Hot and bottle drinks
- Hot shower
- Electronic device re-charge
- Travel insurance and medical evacuation
- ITINERARY ALTITUDETIME
Day 01: Arrive Kathmandu & Transfer to Hotel - 1,300m/4,264 ft
Day 02: Kathmandu: Sightseeing and Trek Preparation
Day 03: Kathmandu to Soti Khola (Drive)700 m10 hr
Day 4: Soti Khola to Maccha Khola930 m6 hr
Day 5: Maccha Khola to Jagat1340 m7 hr
Day 5: Jagat to Lokpa2240 m5 - 6 hr
Day 6: Lokpa to Chumling2386 m6 hr
Day 7: Chumling to Chekampar3031 m5 - 6 hr
Day 8: Chekampar to Nile3361 m5 - 6 hr
Day 9: Trip to Mu Gompa3361 m5 - 6 hr
Day 10: Nile to Chekampar3031 m6 hr
Day 11: Chekampar to Chumling2386 m6 - 7 hr
Day 12: Chumling to Deng1860 m7 hr
Day 13: Deng to Namrung2630 m8 - 9 hr
Day 14: Namrung to Lho3157 m4 hr
Day 15: Lho to Sama Gaun3530 m4 hr
Day 16: Acclimatization
Day 17: in Sama Gaun3530 m7 hr
Day 18: Sama Gaun to Samdo3865 m4 hr
Day 19: Acclimatization Day in Samdo3865 m4 hr
Day 20: Samdo to Dharmasala4460 m4 hr
Day 21: Dharmasala to Bimthang3590 m9 - 10 hr
Day 22: Bimthang to Tilije
Day 23: Tilije to Tal
Day 24: Tal to Kathmandu (Drive)
Day 25: Departure International airport
Departure Point :Mega Mount Trekking & Expedition Pvt.LtdThamel, Kathmandu
Departure Time :Kathmandu – Arughat (670m/2,198 ft) Soti Khola (710m/2,330ft): 135km, 8-9 hrs drive
Return Detail :Dharapani- Besi Sahar (760m/2,495ft) – Kathmandu (1,300m/4,264ft): 190km 7-8hrs
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- north east of the Manaslu (mountain of the spirit) trail, was first opened to trekking in 2008. In the
- the Tsumbas of the Tibetan origin, speak a unique dialect and still trade to the north. The valley is rich in ancient art, culture and religion. It adds a richly rewarding extension to the Manaslu trek.
- A scenic drive through the Middle Hills leads to the trail head beyond Arughat at Soti Khola. The
- crosses numerous ridges and villages as it rises to Philim. Here it turns east into the lower, then broader Upper Tsum Valley. Crops grown include barley, maize, buckwheat and potatoes. Look out for Himalayan Tahrs and Bharal (blue sheep); preyed on by the illusive snow leopards.
- Highlights include the village of Chhekampar with its stone houses, slate roofs and Milarepa’s cave. The monastery at Mu Gompa and Rachen Gompa to the south has nuns of the Ngak-pa sect. Gumba Lungdang is another important nunnery where trekkers are welcomed at the evening puja. Their 360° views are amongst the best on the trek. From there a forest track leads to the Ganesh Himal Base Camp.
- At Lokpa, the trail rejoins the
- and climbs through the Kutang – Nupri valleys (the western mountains: part of Tibet until the 1840s); peopled by another Tibetan community with its own distinct custom and language. The route is forested and gradually presents view of Himal Chuli, Ngadi Chuli and Manaslu with the glaciers that flow from their flanks.
- In Samagaon, visit the Kargyu Chholing Monastery and Pungyen Nunnery. A high trail leads to the
- the mountain was first conquered by a Japanese team in 1959.
- Then, for two days, the trail climbs gradually toward the Larkya La, passing great vistas. The downward trek drops into the forested Marsyangdi Valley and joins the
- for the downstream walk to Tal and jeep/bus to Kathmandu.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.