Maras Salt Mines and Moray Archeological Site from Cusco
This full-day tour to Maras and Moray is a day bus tour is organized on accessible area only by a dilapidated dirt road from Cuzco and its surrounding towns. Tourist sites in the area include the colonial church and local salt mines in Maras’s town as well as the archeological site of Moray.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Boleto Turistico. The sights are divided into three circuits. Each circuit can be purchased separately or all together as a General Ticket. Cost of the general ticket is S/130 soles (or S/70 for students)
- Entry/Admission - Salinas de Maras
- Entry/Admission - Moray
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Salinas de Maras, Carreta a Maras, Maras 08655 Peru
Towards the northwest of the town of Maras are the famous salt miners known by some as “salt mines” are made up of about 3000 small wells with an average area of about 5 m², built on one side of the slope of the mountain of “Qaqawiñay “which during the dry season are filled or” watered “every 3 days with salt water emanating from a natural manante located at the top of the wells so that when the water evaporates, the salt contained in it will gradually solidify. This process will continue for about a month until a considerable volume of solid salt, about 10 cms. of height from the floor, which is subsequently struck and thus granulated; the salt will be later pocketed in plastic sacks and sent to the markets of the region; today that salt is being iodized so its consumption is not harmful.
Return to the City of Cusco
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Moray Valle Sagrado de los Incas, Maras 08655 Peru
These are depressions or gigantic natural holes on the surface of the land that were used to construct terraces or agricultural platforms with their respective irrigation channels. What strikingly draws attention is the average annual temperature difference between the top and bottom of the depressions, which reaches up to 15 ° C in the main depression of about 30 meters deep.
MORAY, due to its climatic conditions and other characteristics, was an important center for domestication, acclimatization and hybridization of wild plant species that were modified or adapted for human consumption.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Centrally located hotel in Cusco
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Concludes at approx. 3pm at the original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.