Maria Island Active Day Trip from Hobart
Step back in time, slow down and enjoy a big day out on this island National Park. Maria Island has a diverse range of highlights including convict history, spectacular coastal cliffs and deserted beaches. Access to the island is by Ferry for foot passengers only (no cars on this island). Bring your comfortable walking shoes ready to stretch your legs and explore this island paradise.
• Explore Maria Island National Park (6hrs)
• Watch for Dolphins & Whales on the ferry journey (30 mins each way)
• Walk to amazing “Painted Cliffs” and wander amongst the unusual rock formation
• Enjoy spectacular views as walk to the “Fossil Cliffs”
• Explore and discover the geological history amongst the exposed fossils
• Discover and the convict history at the Darlington World Heritage convict site
• Be amazed at the abundant wildlife enjoying life on their extraordinary island
• Relax and take in all the stunning secluded bays and beaches in this paradise setting
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Return Ferry crossing fee
- National Park entrance fees
- Professional guides and interpretive walks
- Small, friendly groups
- Airport drop offs on request with prior arrangement
- We offer a Hotel pick up from most central city Hotels and Hostels
- Entry/Admission - Maria Island National Park
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks (please either pre purchase, or there will be the opportunity to purchase on tour)
- We do not offer pick ups from Air BnB’s and private residences
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Maria Island National Park, Tasmania Australia
Just one hour’s drive from Hobart to the ferry and 30 minutes across the water, brings us to Maria Island - a stunning island National Park. It is rich in local wildlife, amazing scenery and world heritage convict history. We enjoy a series of moderate walks exploring the beautiful Painted Cliffs, the dramatic Fossil Cliffs and the remarkable Darlington World Heritage convict site. With no cars on the island the area is peaceful, beautiful, the pace is slow and relaxed, and the beaches are perfect for summer swimming.
This is a tour for active travellers who are keen to walk and enjoy this unique island. Setting out on foot we have 2 main walking trails for the day, covering a total distance of almost 10 kilometers. Both of our walks are categorised as Great Short Walks of Tasmania. The Painted Cliffs Walk at Hopground Beach feature the beautifully patterned sandstone cliffs. The Fossil Cliffs walk, takes us along to amazing cliffs that drop sheer into the ocean. It offers a fascinating insight into the past environments of Maria Island along with expansive views of the Freycinet Peninsula.
You have an opportunity to swim, photograph and soak up the island life as Maria works its magic on you. Maria Island is a National Park so we are exposed to all that nature will offer on the day, so please come prepared.
The island is a haven for abundant wildlife, it is one of Tasmania’s bird watching hot spots. Wombats can also be seen around the island, as well as Pademelons, Forester Kangaroos, Bennetts wallabies and Tasmanian Devils.
Even the ferry ride is part of the highlights of the day, the waters we cross are also abundant in sea life, we keep our eyes peeled for dolphins, seals and penguins along the way.
Join us on this day of discovery rich in environmental and cultural history.
Important Note: Maria Island is a special, beautiful and wild island National Park accessible by boat. There are no cars, shops etc. on the island. Facilities are limited. Please ensure you are able to carry everything you will need for the day. You will need a day pack to carry warm clothing as necessary. A jacket suitable for walking in light rain conditions. Equally, you will need adequate sun protection should it be a warm sunny day. Please ensure you have a large water bottle. You will have an opportunity to purchase lunch/sandwiches in the morning, but we recommend you buy your snacks prior to the day if you prefer a wider choice or have special dietary requirements to consider. Please ensure you wear comfortable footwear for walking. The walking on Maria Island is graded as easy-moderate walking. However, we are on the island for around 6 hours, with around 10 kilometers of walking trails to explore. Please ensure your clothing and footwear is adequate for this type of activity in the great outdoors. There is time to swim and relax should you choose to.
Duration: 11 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
• Hotel pick ups are scheduled between 6.30am & 6.55am from select hotels and hostels in the central city area (tour departs Hobart at 7.15am)• Hotel pick ups need to be arranged directly with the tour operator prior to your departure• If pick up has not been arranged, our general pick up point is 6.55am at the Tasmanian Travel & Information Centre (20 Davey Street, Hobart)
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age to participate in tour is 8 years
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- This is an active tour and walking is involved; a suitable level of general health & fitness and physical abilities is essential
- We provide accurate interpretation, and keep wildlife disturbance to a minimum by viewing from appropriate distances and informing our guests how to view wildlife with patience and respect. Activities are always confined to tracks and boardwalks to minimize negative impacts.
- Hotel pickup time is between 6:30am and 7:00am depending on your location. Hotel pickup is available from central city Hotels and Hostels ( no AirBnB’s). Please arrange pickup from your hotel at least 48 hours prior to departure with the tour operator.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- It is very important to be on time for your pickup, as we have a time line to keep to ensure we do not miss our ferry to Maria Island. We have very limited capacity to wait for late passengers and we may have to make the unfortunate decision to depart without you! We aim to leave Hobart at 7.15am - so if you have any concerns about your pick up - our phone line is open at 7.00am, please call us promptly on 03 6231 5390.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- There are no shops on Maria, and limited drinking water, so make sure you bring enough water and food for your day out. There will be a brief stop on the way to the Ferry for some last minute food purchases - sandwiches/rolls etc. And there is normally a chance to buy some takeaway food on the return trip back to Hobart.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Your safety is our priority. Tours operate in compliance with current local regulations.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.