Market Visit and Cooking Lesson: Learn to Cook Authentic Mexican Food with a Modern Twist
Learn to cook with a local chef in Puerto Vallarta during this private culinary experience! Your host for the day is Manu, a professionally trained chef who loves to create innovative, modern fusions of classic Mexican dishes. Manu will take you to the local market and show you his favorite vendors. After doing a bit of shopping you'll return to his home and cook a meal together. Manu will teach you to prepare traditional Mexican dishes with a modern twist, dishes you can replicate in your own kitchen at home. Enjoy the meal together in Manu's home, a small but typical home in central Puerto Vallarta.
per adult from
What's included :
- Private market tour and cooking class with your host Manuel
- Bottled water
- Local beer
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Local host
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- After completing culinary school he traveled abroad and lived in Canada, Spain, and Norway where he worked in a series of professional kitchens. After being away for 6 years, Manu returned to Mexico where he could indulge in his love of the food from home.
Now happily settled in Puerto Vallarta, Manu is a private chef, and works in the tourism industry. Manu lives in a small, but cozy house located close to the center of the city. He is experienced in catering to all types of tastes, allergies, and dietary restrictions.
Meet Manu at his home before setting out for the Mercado Cinco de Diciembre, located a short five minute walk away. Together you will browse the stalls where you will have an opportunity to experience all the sounds, smells, and colors of a traditional Mexican marketplace. You will visit fruit and vegetable stands, a tortilleria (tortilla factory), a carnicería (butcher), and a pescadería (fish market), and learn how to choose the best ingredients from each. Upon returning to Manu's home, you will utilize all the fresh foods you gathered in order to create your meal together.
Join Manu in his kitchen to learn how to prepare a meal together. During your hands-on lesson, you can expect to learn how to make dishes such as mahi mahi ceviche, shrimp sopes, smoked marlin tacos, and flamed plantains; all with traditional techniques and ingredients. You can expect to cook for about an hour before sitting down to share the meal together.
Manu's style of cooking is rooted in authentic Mexican cuisine, but includes influence from Asia and the Mediteranean. You can look forward to enjoying dishes such as fresh ahi poke with avocado, sopa de elote con rajas con crema (corn soup with creamy poblano peppers), platanillo de res (boneless beef shank) with nopales (cactus), and cacao arroz con leche (rice pudding with cacao).
Please note: this is not a professional cooking class, rather than an experience to visit an authentic, local home to meet a local person and share the culture and cuisine together.
Departure Point :Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Please note: this is not a professional cooking class, rather an experience to visit a local home to meet a local chef and share culture and cuisine together.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 3 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.