Mayan Chocolate Making in Belmopan
This tour is a great opportunity for those looking for something the entire family can do. It is a sustainable, eco-friendly, vegan, Mayan grown and processed chocolate experience. You will spend time with indigenous Belize Maya's as they describe and demonstrate their chocolate making skills passed down from generation to generation for thousands of years.
per adult from
What's included :
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Food tasting
- Local guide
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- You will begin the tour the Lamanai chocolate cabana where two Mayan ladies will introduce themselves wearing their beautiful traditional Mayan clothes. They will begin by roasting cacao beans on a traditional kamal that is still used in many of their homes. This part of the tour takes anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour depending on the amount of interaction with the ladies.
After roasting the cacao seed they will crush them on the two thousand year old Maya grinding stone. Next they will demonstrate the winnowing process. This process is done by dropping the crushed beans on front of a fan to blow the shells away. Often they use bowls to move the crushed seeds back and forth to ensure all the seeds are shelled. Then the seed is put back on the stone and ground into a high quality liqueur.
The final step is to cook the liqueur in water until it is fully dissolved. Once dissolved we can add organic sugar and cream making the chocolate that was developed for taste and healing by the Mayan people.
Departure Point :43 Hummingbird Hwy, Armenia, Belize
Departure Time :8am
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.