Mayan Underworld Tour from Playa del Carmen with Park Admission and Lunch
Descend into the ancient Mayan underworld! On this Playa del Carmen tour, you’ll explore astonishing ancient underground rivers and caves, see otherworldly stalactites and stalagmites, swim in crystal-clear cenotes, and walk through the jungle! You’ll also learn about local history and culture, finishing off with a traditional Mayan ceremony.
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Helmet and lamp rental
- One snack
- Bottle of water
- Water shoes
- Park admission
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drinks
- Travel insurance
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Playa del Carmen Urban Experiences, Playa del Carmen 77710 Mexico
Your adventure begins in the traditional setting of El Sangha-Rito. A place where you can grab some coffee or a snack to fuel up for the day. If you do fancy a coffee before the tour, please ensure you get here early because once all your fellow tour participants have arrived we´ll depart for the jungle, where the fun starts…
After driving for a couple of minutes on the highway, we'll get off the beaten track and make our way past the entrances to cave systems, onwards into the jungle. Channel your inner Indiana Jones and imagine the treasure that awaits us as we ride through the jungle to our cave of choice.
Upon arrival at the cave, we will ensure that everyone is equipped with all the right equipment necessary for our trek. At the cave entrance, your guide will talk about the type of cave we’ll be visiting and about how it was formed. A few health and safety guidelines will follow, including how the signal system works to get in and out of the cave.
Do not worry if you have never been caving before, your guide will be on hand to support you. While we will be underground for about 2 to 3 hours, the caves are fairly large and they aren't tight or closed-in. Even travellers with claustrophobia have happily taken part in all the activities without any problems. You won't be expected to swim underwater to reach any of the cave entrances, so you can leave the SCUBA gear at home and relax.
Once we are all ready for the adventure, we will get into the Xibalba (meaning ‘underworld’ in Mayan mythology). Once inside the vast cave, you’ll see stalactites, stalagmites, limestone columns and astonishing sinkholes. It’s like some beautiful alien world, it really is quite spectacular. Your guide, who has expert knowledge of these caves, will teach you about all the different types of incredible limestone formations.
Walking along beautiful subterranean streams and swimming across turquoise cenotes, we will reach passageways in the limestone that open into large caves along the AXL system. By the end of your caving experience, you will feel like a real ‘goonie’ (or explorer)!
After the facts, science, and myths of the cave, we will head back to our starting point. Back on dry land, there will be facilities to dry yourself off.
We will have time to relax, enjoy the fresh jungle air and sunlight, and have a snack. Don’t forget to ask your local expert guide for more tips on what else to see, do and eat while you’re in town.
Duration: 5 hours
Departure Point :El Sangha-Rito, Av. CTM 5-MZA 58 LTE 5, Zazil-ha, 77720 Playa del Carmen, Q.R., Mexico
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please bring a swimsuit (or wear one under your clothes), extra clothing to change into, and a towel.
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Small-group tour, max 12 people
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.