Meteora Day Trip by Train from Athens
Immerse yourself in some of Greece’s most spectacular scenery on a day trip to Meteora by train, the most fascinating way you could never imagine.
per adult from
What's included :
- Round-trip shared transfers in Kalambaka
- Round-trip rail tickets based on your choice
- Expert English speaking escort
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle with WiFi
- Panoramic views of the six active monasteries
- Visit three Monasteries and the hermit caves of Badovas
- Free Map and bottle of water
- Local taxes
What's excluded :
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off service in Athens
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees of the Monasteries
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Kalabaka 422 00, Greece
Catch the train of 7:20 am to Kalambaka in the morning from the Athens Railway Station and enjoy a trip that will give you the chance to admire the beauty of the countryside. Arrive around 11:30 am in Kalambaka, a small town built at the foot of the majestic grey rocks, and crowded by the Meteora Monasteries.
Stop At: Meteora, Meteora, Trikala Region, Thessaly
Arriving in Kalambaka, our English speaking expert escort will be waiting you holding a signboard with your name on it and will transfer you to the Meteora Monasteries. For about 4 hours you will have the time to explore three Monasteries as well as the hermit caves of Badovas. Meteora is included in the UNESCO world heritage monument list. The monasteries are perched on top of towers of sandstone, which for centuries provided totally inaccessible retreats for the monks. The most visited Monastery is the Holy Monastery of Great Meteoron, which is the largest of the monasteries located at Meteora. It was erected in the mid-14th century and was the subject of restoration and embellishment projects in 1483 and 1552. The building serves as the main museum for tourists. The Katholikon (main church), consecrated in honour of the Transfiguration of Jesus was erected in the middle of 14th century and 1387/88 and decorated in 1483 and 1552.
Duration: 4 hours
Stop At: Kalabaka 422 00, Greece
At the end of the day, our expert escort will transfer you back to Kalambaka, where you will have the time to stroll around and have a light lunch (not included). At 5:15 p.m. the train departs from Kalambaka, and arrives at 9:25 p.m back to Athens.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Athens 104 44, Greece
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants (ages 3 and under) are free
- To enter the monasteries, appropriate clothing is required. Women should not wear short skirts and must have long sleeves. Men are not allowed to wear shorts.
- You will receive an e-mail with the train e-tickets a few days before the activity
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- The tour in Meteora will be a small group one and social distance will be kept during the journey by train to ensure a safe travel experience for you.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.