Miravalles Yellowstone of Costa Rica Volcanic Mud and Hot Springs From Guanacaste
The Miravalles Volcano Tour will take you for a visit to see steaming fumaroles and magical crystal formations in this area known as the Yellostone of Costa Rica. You will drive about an hour and a half from your beach hotel to Miravalles, one of the most active volcanoes in Costa Rica. Enjoy a a short tractor or horseback ride to the hanging bridges and take an easy hike to a waterfall before visiting the steaming fumaroles and crystal formations. At the end of the day you will bask in thermal pools and rub luxurious warm, volcanic mud on your face and body. Seeing yourself and your family or friends in their mud masks provides some laughable moments. Don't forget your camera, because the scenery here is magnificent.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic Beverages and Soft Drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option not selected)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Miravalles Volcano, Area de Conservacion Guanacaste Costa Rica
The tour starts with a drive of about one hour though the Guanacaste mountain range and majestic views of the Miravalles volcano. This colossus is one of the most active volcanoes in Costa Rica; its main activity is composed of gas emanations and geysers which are used by the government in a geothermal project to produce electricity.
Miravalles, standing at 6,653 feet, is the highest peak in the Guanacaste Mountain Range (Cordillera de Guanacaste). The scenic ride takes you through rolling hills and one of Costa Rica’s geothermal plants near Miravalles Volcano. Hidden in the hills, this natural wonder, although a dormant volcano, has earned protective status due to its surrounding tropical vegetation and geological activity: steam spewing fissures, sulfur springs, and bubbling mud pools. An underground reservoir is the site of a geothermal energy plant at Las Hornillas that converts resident steam to electricity. The project is run by the Institute of Electricity, which accepts inquiring minds interested in visiting the project at the base of Miravalles.
Once you arrive at the facility, you will take a short tractor or horseback ride to the hanging bridges and embark on an easy hike to the waterfall. Take the tractor or ride horseback to the main area and visit the steaming fumaroles and see the beauty of the crystal formations. Resident animals and birds offer additional photo opportunities. Next, it’s time to kick back in thermal pools with warm mud, shower, and enjoy the relaxing pools.
When you’re done enjoying the mud and thermal pools, shower to remove mud and change into your dry clothing in the provided dressing rooms. Your van will be waiting for you and your guides for your return trip to your Beach Hotel.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Point: 7:30 am - Allegro Papagayo, RIU, Coco Beach 7:45 am - Playa Hermosa & Playa Panama6:45 am - Portrero & Flamingo Beach7:00 am - Tamarindo, Langosta & Hacienda Pinilla7:40 am - DreamsDates: DailyReturn point: Return to point of pickup
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Face mask recommended when traveling in transportation vehicles
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.