Mohkinstsis Walking Tour - Calgary's Indigenous History
This is Calgary's only Indigenous walking tour where you will hear traditional stories and learn about Indigenous culture and history from your guide who is from the Blood Tribe of southern Alberta and grew up on reserve.
Tarra Wright Many Chief is the owner and head tour guide of Many Chief Tours. She’s a successful tourism consultant who grew up on nearby Kainai Reserve (Blood Tribe) and now she has created her own tourism business.
Tarra walks guests through St. Patrick’s Island and shares personal stories, explains some cultural traditions of her family, and explains the cultural significance of this location to the Blackfoot people where the Bow and Elbow Rivers meet.
per adult from
90 to 120 minutes
What's included :
- Stories of growing up on reserve, Indigenous traditions and stories
- Entry/Admission - St. Patrick's Island
What's excluded :
- Does not include transportation to the start of the walking tour.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: St. Patrick's Island, 1300 Zoo Rd NE, Calgary, Alberta T2E 7V6 Canada
Your Indigenous guide will meet you at the George C King Bridge and guide along a 2.5 km walking tour through Calgary's St. Patrick's Island while you learn from your Indigenous guide about the Indigenous history of Calgary and the traditional territory of the Blackfoot People.
The Mohkinstsis (MOH-kin-stiss) Tour is named for the Blackfoot name for Calgary. The tour is approximately 90 mins to 120 mins depending on the speed of the group and we welcome questions and enjoy curious guests. The trail is a combination of paved trail and gravel. Comfortable footwear suggested for the 2.5 km route.
Our First Nations guide looks forward to sharing their culture through sharing the history of the land and sharing stories of their connection to the land.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :George C. King Bridge, Calgary, AB, Canada
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- There are some benches along the trail for guests to sit.
- There are public washrooms available at the midpoint of the tour.
- Recommended only for those who can travel approximately 2.5 km while on the tour.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- The walking tour and trail has sufficient space to allow for appropriate amount of social distancing throughout the tour.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.