Montego Bay Highlights Heritage Tour from Montego Bay Hotels
This half-day tour will take you to popular and "backstage areas" of Montego Bay allowing you to experience the "Real Jamaica". On this tour you will visit local farming areas, small towns and villages, Sam Sharp Square, St. James Parish Church and Richmond Hill Great House. There will also be lunch at one of the many local restaurants (additional cost). This tour is ideal for large and small groups.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional local guide
- Local taxes
- Entry/Admission - Richmond Hill Inn
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Fresh organic fruits
- Entrance fees Richmond Hill Great are USD$3 per person to be paid at time of entrance
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Sam Sharpe Square, Montego Bay Jamaica
This tour takes you to downtown Montego Bay. Your first 10 minutes stop will be at Sam Sharp Square. This area got its name from a freed slave who carried the same name and who led one of the bloodiest uprising in Jamaica on Christmas day in the year 1831. In this area, there is a statue of Sam Sharp and other slaves who were severely punished in the year 1832 for the Christmas day uprising that took place. Feel free to exit the vehicle and browse around. There is also the "Cage" which was originally constructed from wood in the year 1806. However, it was later reconstructed from bricks. The cage was used as a holding area for runaway Slaves who were held there until they were sent back to their plantations. It was also used as a holding area for vagrants and rowdy seamen who would get drunk and was behaving disorderly.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: St James Parish Church, Payne Street, Montego Bay Jamaica
The tour will continue to the St., James Parish Church for a 30 minutes visit. This Anglican Church, built in 1775 is one of the oldest churches in the Montego Bay area. It boasts an amazing architecture and some of the contents ranging back from as far as over 200 years ago. Built to last for centuries, this church is still fully functional as back in the days when it was first constructed. Be sure to read the marble plaques and headstones that displays an array of exquisite poems well wishes written in old English. Feel free to browse around and read the headstones. The church will always accept a contribution at your pleasure.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Richmond Hill Inn, Union Street, Montego Bay, Jamaica
Our next stop will be at Richmond Hill where the elegant Richmond Hill Great House once stood. This colonial style Great House which was destroyed by fire on December 30, 2019 was located 500 feet above the hustle and bustle of Montego Bay City. Built in 1804 by members of the Dewar family, original owners of the Dewars Whisky. This Great House sits strategically on top of a hill in the center of town and is home to several movie scenes including James Bond Movies. Entertainers LL Cool J, Alicia Keys, Eddie Murphy all visited this house. From the Richmond hill you get a panoramic view of the entire city of Montego Bay. The view stretches over 25 miles (40.23 meters) beyond. Before the fire persons could relax by the pool for a moment or just sit by the bar and have a cold red stripe (extra cost). Your tour guide will tell you all about the rich history of Richmond Hill Great House while doing your walk through. All of that is no more however, this is still the best spot to take pictures and feel the fresh mountain air. .
Duration: 15 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pickup from most Montego Bay Hotels. You must contact us at least 24 prior to the day of the tour to re-confirm your booking and central pickup point if you are staying at other accommodations not listed.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infant meals not included
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- A moderate amount of walking is involved. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.