Monywa Day Tour from Mandalay
Full day private tour from Mandalay to Monywa and its surrounding area. Monywa, the capital of Sagaing State, is situated on the eastern bank of Chindwin River and about 3 hours car journey from Mandalay. It is a major center for trade and commerce for agricultural produce from surrounding Chindwin Valley. The highlights of the tour include Mohnyin Thanboddhay Pagoda, Bohti Tataung Pagoda, Shweguni Pagoda, Kyaukka Village, Hpowin Taung, Shwe Ba Taung. The day tour will take approximately 12 hours. Led by friendly local licensed tour guide on a private transport with pick up and drop off from your hotel.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local licensed tour guide throughout the tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by private tour vehicle (car, driver, fuel included)
What's excluded :
- Lunch and snacks
- Any other not mentioned in the inclusion
- Our tour guide and driver will pick you up from your hotel in Mandalay ~07:30-08:00hour. We will drive towards Monywa situated on the eastern bank of Chindwin River.
Our first stop is at Mohnyin Thanboddhay, temple with a unique shape in the whole of Myanmar resembling Boroburdur in Indonesia. We will then continue to Mahar Bodhi Tataung Laykyun Setkyar Pagoda, the site has one thousand Bodhi trees and each tree has a large Buddha image underneath. It also houses the second largest reclining Buddha in Myanmar. Afterwards, we will proceed to Shwe Gu Ni pagoda which is famous among locals for its wish-fulfilling powers and Kyaukka Village which is well known for pre-Chaing Mai style lacquer ware since Konbaung era. Typical black and gold lacquer wares of Kyaukkar are heavier and more refined and artistic than Bagan lacquer wares.
We will stop for lunch before proceeding to the western bank of Chindwin River to explore Hpo Win Taung (Powin Taung) and Shwe Ba Taung. Hpo Win Taung is an extra ordinary Buddhist cave complex that contains 947 sandstone caves dug out of the hill and contain many carved Buddha images and well preserved mural paintings of geometric pattern and Jataka stories (ancient Buddhist history) in vivid colors dated between 14th and 18th centuries. It has been claimed by archaeologist to be the the riches collection of mural paintings and Buddha statues in South East Asia.
Our last stop is Shwe Ba Taung, is a short walk from Hpo Win Taung. Monasteries and temples are carved out of the narrow volcanic rocky cliffs with some additional structures were being built during the colonial era, such as the brick entrances with archways built across the pillars complete with Corinthian capitals. Mural painting dates 13th century could be seen in inner walls of some caves.
Our day excursion ends here and we will transfer you back to your hotel in Mandalay for arrival in the late afternoon/ early evening.
Departure Point :Client's hotel
Departure Time :
07:30 - 08:00 hour
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 2 people (adults/ youths/ seniors) per booking is required.
- A maximum of 15 people per booking
- Please wear decent clothes that covers your shoulders and knees (no shorts, sleeveless tops or low neck tops) when visiting religious sites. Please cover your shoulders and knees and take off your shoes and socks when entering pagoda areas.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.