Moose Safari from Bodo, Northern Norway, Meet the Largest Land Animal in Europe
The Moose is quite shy and is easily scared back into the woods, but normally they are quite co-operative and allow us to get quite near. We know the habits and life of the moose and where we have the best chances to see them.
Elg - the moose is called Elg in Norway, but the moose is not comparable with the american elk. The elk (cervus canadensis) , however, is an entirely different deer (much smaller).
Largest in Europe - the moose is Europes largest land animal, also the largest member in the deer family. A fully grown bull are over 2 meters high at the shoulders and weighs up to 750 kg (1650 lb). Cows seldom weighs more than 470 kg (1035 lb).
Saltstraumen: The moose safari trip will also include a stop by Saltstraumen, the strongest maelstrom in the world. You can walk the bridge and look down in to the powerful whirlpools.
per adult from
4 to 6 hours
What's included :
- All activities
- Local guide
- Hotel/port drop-off
- A stop by Saltstraumen - the strongest tidewater current in the world.
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup
- Do I need any outdoor experience?
• Is this trip for me? This trip is in no way strenuous. Everyone can join. Normally we do not leave the vehicle. If we do, the moose will see that we are humans, and it will run away. If you have any kind of physical disability, please inform us at least 48 h. prior to departure.
• Grading: this trip is graded as Very Easy.
• Minimum age: reccomended minimum age is 6 years.
By minibus or 8-seater car from/to downtown Bodø.
Season & Availability
June - August. The absolute best season for a moose safari in Norway is summer.
Terrain, distance and elevation
Nothing to worry about, you not even have to leave the vehicle (but we will invite to it from time to time). We go by car or a small bus to areas some 40 km away from Bodø.
You should bring
• Be sure to bring your camera.
• Personal clothing due to the weather.
• A small day pack or handbag.
• Drink and snacks.
We will provide
• A knowledgeable, English-speaking guide.
• Transportation by car or minibus.
• A visit at Saltstraumen.
Group size - We prefer small groups
• Typical group size for our trips range from 2 to 10 (15). We prefer to keep the group size as small as possible for these trips, which improves the experience for the participants and guide alike.
• Larger groups may request booking this trip. In such cases, we divide the group into smaller groups, each of which will be accompanied by their own guide. NB: We don’t mix private group trips with solo travellers.
• What is the minimum number of participants? To run this tour, a minimum of two people must book. If this minimum is not met, we reserve the right to cancel the tour. You will then have the option of being rebooked on an alternative date or receiving a full refund.
Departure Point :By the Tourist Information in Bodø, centrally located in Bodø.
Departure Time :7:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Adult pricing applies to all participants.
- A maximum of 15 people per booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.