Mostar in War: Historical Walking Tour
The Mostar in War Tour (1992 - 1995) is a historic and educating walking tour. The highlights of the tour include a walk in the former front line, personal stories from the war and a 10-minute film about the history of Mostar.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional authorized guide
What's excluded :
- Lunch (optional)
- Mostar is the third city of Bosnia-Herzegovina. The Ottoman city grew around the famous bridge, and was expanded during the Austro-Hungarian period in a noble classical style. It became wealthy, with an economy based on high-technology, agro-industry and tourism. Its university and high schools were among the best in ex-Yugoslavia.
In the recent conflict (1992-1994) more than 5000 buildings were damaged in the inner city. Industry and infrastructure were devastated. About 2000 people were killed in Mostar and 26 000 persons were driven out as refugees. Institutions and lifestyle suffered even more than the buildings. The city was divided by ethnic cleansing into two parts (Croat and Muslim), separated by a 'confrontation line'.
The European Union created an administration in Mostar immediately after the end of fighting (July 1994). The mandate lasts for two years. It is led by Mr. Hans Koschnick, formerly Mayor of Bremen, Germany.
This tour visits the following sites:
- Spanish square
- Liska park - a local park which became cemetery where dead of both sides of conflict were burried.
- former shopping center "Hit"
- "Carinski most" bridge
- Main street
- "Sehitluci" - small cemetery congested with more than a 100 white-marble Muslim thombstones
- 10-minute film about the history of Mostar (before the war, during the war and after the war)
- Old Bridge
Departure Point :Mostar central meeting point
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Dress code is smart casual
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.