Mountain Biking Adventure on Narrowback Mountain
Experience Virginia’s Mountain Biking Mecca on Narrowback Mountain. Located in the North River District of George Washington National Forest, there is a bit of everything on this loop including ridgeline riding, rocky sections with alternate lines, and two memorable descents off the mountain. Guaranteed you will finish with a long flowy descent that will bring smiles all around!
per adult from
4 to 5 hours
What's included :
- Healthy snacks and a delicious hearty lunch in the mountains
- Experienced and friendly local guides with Wilderness First Aid training
- A refreshing post ride beverage
- A souvenir from Virginia to commemorate your epic ride
- Pre-ride organic juice and a savory pastry
- Bottled water
- Local guide
- Alcoholic Beverages
What's excluded :
- We will meet off Tillman Road in the George Washington National Forest, about 45-minutes outside of Harrisonburg, Va. The first loop makes its way to the Dog Graveyard which is a gated road that sits next to remnants of old pet cemetery with signs and headstones still visible in the woods. From here we will make a right turn onto Narrowback trail which is the beginning of our singletrack. It is just a short distance to the Narrowback ridge.
At the top of the hill we will turn left on Festival Trail and continue along this great section that follows the the ridgeline. It flows great in this direction. After topping out the Narrowback Mountain summit, (2224 ft.) we will start a nice downhill and meet a sharp right hand berm that drops to the east side of the ridge. The terrain here turns into an old road bed, but the wide corridor has been tightened to awesome singletrack and rolls quickly until it intersects with Narrowback Road. We will follow Narrowback Road for 3 miles to the next intersection with Narrowback Trail again. Intersecting with the Festival Trail, we will be back on familiar terrain since you passed through here before. Here is where there is a bailout for those who want to continue to their cars and call it a day after the super fun Festival Trail descent. For those of us who choose to do the second loop, we will turn left, and follow Tower Trail to the south. Tower Trail follows the south end of the Narrowback Ridge, climbing to the highest elevation of the ride at 2400 ft.
Eventually we will intersect with Tillman West trail. Here there will be an option to climb another quarter mile on Tower Trail to the radio tower where there is a picnic bench and a great spot to refuel and enjoy the mountain air. From here we will continue on downhill to Tillman West which is a two mile flowy drop off the ridge that travels through open clearings from a timber sale. It is one great downhill and the highlight of this ride! This trail will level off near the bottom, cross Big Run Creek, and end at Tillman Rd where the ride began.
Departure Point :Bottom of Tillman West Trail in the George Washington National Forest
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :The same as the departure location
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.