Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve from San Ignacio
Escape the heat of the lowlands and explore the nature reserve of the Mountain Pine Ridge. Discover where cool rivers flow through pristine forests and caves while waterfalls provide beauty and mystery. Swim, hike, and relax in the natural scenery on an outing into the more remote areas of Cayo District. Here ancient ruins and ancient geology combine in a modern setting for an amazing experience in nature!
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- National Park fees
- Lunch with a drink
- Professional guide
- Round-trip transfer
- Rum punch
- Entry/Admission - Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve
What's excluded :
- The Mountain Pine Ridge reserve is over 100,000 acres of protected forest. It is comprised mainly of Honduras pine and some wetlands, the Macal River valley and some subtropical forest. The area is mainly granite and limestone, and is home to numerous rivers, springs, waterfalls and caves. This is truly a nature lover’s haven! There is a small forest ranger post and very little habitation, except for a couple of isolated Maya communities and a small settlement of Mennonites. A former logging settlement at San Luis is now abandoned because the area has been protected since the 1940s.
This stunning and unique natural habitat is home to numerous bird and mammal species, and is a great place for birdwatching and enjoying the peace of the natural environment. The first feature of the reserve that we will explore is the Rio Frio Cave, the source of the Rio Frio river and the largest cave entrance in Belize. Our next stop is the Rio On Pools, a series of shimmering natural swimming holes and rock water slides that allow for cooling relaxation and meditation. Enjoy a water massage from cascading waterfalls that run over a wide river bed and smooth granite rocks.
Take a homemade picnic lunch break at the pools followed by a short drive to our next destination, the fabulous Big Rock Falls, a 150-foot waterfall on Privassion Creek. Here, the cool spray of mist from the waterfall refreshes swimmers in the clear, deep pool below. This day of hiking, spelunking, swimming and possible wildlife watching is not to be missed!
Departure Point :19 Burns Avenue, San Ignacio, Belize
Traveler pickup is offered
Directions: MayaWalk Tours Main Office located between Tandoor Restaurant and Belize BankReturn point: Returns to original departure point
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 2 people per booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- What to bring: Hiking sandals or trainers, towel, small backpack, liter of water, bug spray, snacks, swim wear with shorts, camera
- Difficulty: Easy to moderate
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.