Muscat geological cultural and historical tour Half day trip
Explore the geology of Mutrah with our guide how not only specialized in geology but also have great background of the city history and culture. By a short hiking behind the city you will know more about Semail Ophiolite and mantel rocks which are best exposed in the world, also you will be amazed by the astonishing views of Mutrah city embrace the blue ocean from the mountains. The guide will take you to Mutrah Fort to get familiar with Portuguese invasion period and to the Souq which is a traditional market. From Mutrah you will be heading to Muscat old city to see top attractions like AL-alam Palace, Mirani and Jalali Forts. Enjoy the view of the last stop in Albustan area with a cup Omani tea/coffee and examine the "Mother of Outcrops" which from one view point you can see the three major rock sequence of Oman mountains.
per adult from
4 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Afternoon tea
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Sun protection
- Hike kit
- Starting in the morning at 8 a clock the guide will pick you from place of residence and take you to AlRiyam Park to start the hike. The hike level is easy but need comfort shoes, not long hike almost 3 km. The start will be with a stairs that take you all the way up to the top of the mountain, when you reach the end of the Stairs the guide will show you dunite rocks alternative with the harzburgite and those rocks are part from the mantle sequence of Semail Ophiolite. The next few steps you will reach a view point that you can see Sultan Qapoos harbor. Continuing the hike the rout will start go down and take you to an abandoned farm village and there the guide will speak about the importance of the mantle rocks in plantations and agriculture. After that the rout will enter a narrow canyon and end in a cemetery. The hike supposes to take 2:00 – 2:30 hours. After the hike the guide will take you to the Mutrah Fort and explain the Portuguese invasion and how this period affects on Omani people. After the Fort stop you will go to the Souq to have a unique experience to see how the old market was and you can buy a staff for you and your family. The lunch will be serving after the Souq walk, you will enjoy Omani food from a restraint. Muscat old city is one of the best places to understand the history of Oman and it culture. Al Alam Palace is the royal residences for his majesty Sultan Qaboos and his ancestral before him. You will get close to the wall of the palace and also you can see the Mirani and Jalali Forts built in the 16th century by the Portuguese. The last stop will be in Al Bustan area to see the “Mother of Outcrops” to examine the three major sequences of Oman Mountains and also you will get familiar a major fault system that affects the hydro system in Oman. Regardless the spectacular geology, the view is also something to remember, don’t forget to take photos and enjoy your tea with the view.
Departure Point :Murtah City
Departure Time :7 am to 8 am every day
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Not recommended for child aged 7 and under
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.