New Orleans Small-Group French Quarter Food Tour
Dig into the rich and varied flavors that make New Orleans one of the USA’s top foodie destinations. From the most famous local haunts to some delectable hidden gems, you’ll leave with not only a full stomach and a smile, but a greater understanding of how New Orleans food, culture and history all go hand-in-hand.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Snacks - Food samples. Food options and portion sizes vary - total amount of food equals a full meal.
What's excluded :
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: French Market, 1008 N Peters St, New Orleans, LA 70116-3406
Your culinary tour of New Orleans starts where it all began — the banks of the Mississippi River. From here, you’ll witness the lifeblood of this region which brought new cultures, new influences and new ingredients to the USA through its ports.
As they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. To wake up your taste buds, we’ll indulge in New Orleans’ most iconic breakfast pastry, the beignet. While it looks hard to pronounce, it’s definitely not hard to love. Just make sure you watch the direction of the wind or else you might find yourself covered in powdered, sugary goodness!
Next we will head to The French Market, the site of America’s oldest public market. Historically a place of diversity with products and people from all walks of life, today The French Market is a modern yet unique culinary space. We’ll be sure to stop for a local bite and get to know some of the colorful personalities who call this city home.
Pass By: French Quarter, New Orleans, LA
From the French Market, you’ll embark on the picturesque streets of the French Quarter where your guide will take you to some of their favorite palate-pleasing spots. You’ll sample both a classic New Orleans dish, as well as a delicacy that you’ve probably never seen outside Cajun country. With an abundance of seafood, a fertile eco-system within the bayou and a history of spice trading, you’ll begin to realize why everything here tastes so good.
Do you have an affinity for the spicier side? Then adopt the ‘when-in-Rome’ attitude and unleash some of Louisiana's hottest and tastiest sauces on your taste buds. This is the birthplace of Tabasco, after all.
On this tour, you’ll have the chance to try a dish that sparks more controversy amongst chefs than any other in New Orleans: gumbo. Learn how hundreds of years of history has shaped this recipe and how it can vary from restaurant to restaurant.
Finally, we will finish off with a sweet treat made from locally grown sugarcane and the region’s abundant pecans. No room for more? Don’t worry, they don’t call it the Big Easy for nothing. You can take your praline to-go and indulge when your sweet tooth kicks in.
Before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for more tips on where to eat and what else to do during your stay in New Orleans.
Departure Point :Jackson Square, 701 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70116, USA
Return Detail :Jackson Square, New Orleans, LA 70116, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- This tour features visits to establishments that are not always able to cater for vegetarians and other dietary requirements. Discounts are available and your guide can assist you with recommendations on where to purchase alternative diet-friendly food during the tour.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6.
- Small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.