North-Eastern Bulgaria at a Glance - Ivanovo, Shumen & Madara from Bucharest
We offer you a well balanced round trip from Bucharest to north-eastern part of Bulgaria, with a little bit of everything incuded: breathtaking scenery, two UNESCO sites, amazing ruins, historical places, monuments, awe inspiring churches and the best look-out points.
per adult from
10 to 12 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Private transportation
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Rock-hewn Churches of Ivanovo
- Entry/Admission - Monument "1300 Years of Bulgaria"
- Entry/Admission - Tombul Mosque
- Entry/Admission - Madara Rider
What's excluded :
- Photo/video fees at museums/attractions (if any)
- Visa fee
- Personal expenses
- Personal insurance
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Rock-hewn Churches of Ivanovo, Ivanovo 7088 Bulgaria
Early morning pick-up from your accommodation in Bucharest. Head south, toward the Bulgarian border. We cross the Danube river on the Friendship Bridge, not far from the Bulgarian border town of Ruse. Ruse is the gateway to the Rusenski Lom, a twisting canyon where medieval monks turned caves near Ivanovo into a rock-cut complex of monasteries. In the 14th century a large community of monks lived here. At the peak of the monastery complex, the number of churches was about 40, while the other premises were around 300, most of which are not preserved today. Only the Tsurkvata cave has been kept as a museum and is filled with vivid New Testament frescoes. During the winter season, when one can't visit Ivanovo rock-hewn church, we visit instead the Rock Monastery of St. Dimitar Basarbovski. Built into a sheer cliff east of Basarbovo, this is the only still functioning rock monastery in Bulgaria. The iconfilled church founded in the 15th century and named after the holy man and healer Dimitar of Basarbovo, is reached by a zig-zagging stone staircase.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Monument "1300 Years of Bulgaria", Shumen Bulgaria
TRANSFORMERS IN STONE !!!
Travel to the city of Shumen for a visit to the impressive Monument to "1300 Years of Bulgaria", also known as the "Founders of the Bulgarian State Monument", a large monument built on a plateau above the city of Shumen, Bulgaria. It was built in 1981 to commemorate the 1300th anniversary of the First Bulgarian Empire.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Tombul Mosque, Georgi Rakovski Str., Shumen 9700 Bulgaria
Next is Mosque Sheriff Khalil Pasha, also known as Tombul Mosque. Located in Shumen, it was built in 1744, and is the largest mosque in Bulgaria and the second largest in the Balkan Peninsula after the mosque Sultan Selim, located in the city of Edirne, the Republic of Turkey..
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Madara Rider, Madara Town, Shumen 9971 Bulgaria
Last attraction of the day - the Madara Rider, representing the figure of a knight triumphing over a lion, is carved into a 100-m-high cliff near the village of Madara. Madara was the principal sacred place of the First Bulgarian Empire before Bulgaria’s conversion to Christianity in the 9th century. The inscriptions beside the sculpture tell of events that occurred between AD 705 and 801.
The Madara Rider is a unique relief, an exceptional work of art, created during the first years of the formation of the Bulgarian State, at the beginning of the 8th century. It is the only relief of its kind, having no parallel in Europe. It has survived in its authentic state, with no alternation in the past or the present.
The inscriptions around the relief are, in fact, a chronicle of important events concerning the reigns of very famous Khans: Tervel, Kormisos and Omurtag.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 3/4/2020 - 10/19/2021
Monday - Sunday: 07:00 AM - 09:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- A current, valid passport is required
- Please, make sure you owe all the necessary documents and permissions for crossing the border between Romania and Bulgaria.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.