Old Funchal Walking Tour
Your 2-hour tour to the emblematic monuments of this part of the town will be guided by a former university student or a European volunteer (European Voluntary Service - part of the European Union's Erasmus+ programme) integrated in this project, developed at the University of Madeira. This will be a university project with a side that will most certainly fascinate you.
per adult from
What's included :
- Tour escort/host
- Alcoholic Beverages - Madeira Wine Tasting
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Municipal Gardens, Rua Ivens, Funchal, Madeira 9000-046 Portugal
Also known as Dona Amélia Garden in honour of the former queen of Portugal, the Funchal Municipal Garden is conveniently located in the city centre, north of Avenida Arriaga, on the site where the São Francisco Convent once existed. The convent’s coat of arms has survived until today and is displayed on one of the lawns. The garden overflows with flora from Madeira and many other parts of the world. It covers an area of 8,300 m² and has a lake and stream populated with fish and birds. There are also some works of art and an auditorium that serves as a venue for cultural activities.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Teatro Municipal Baltazar Dias, Avenida Manuel Arriaga Funchal - Sé, Funchal, Madeira 9000-060 Portugal
Located in Avenida Arriaga, the Baltazar Dias Municipal Theatre is a centennial monument of high architectural value.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Mercado dos Lavradores, Rua Brigadeiro Oudinot, Funchal, Madeira 9060-209 Portugal
The Mercado dos Lavradores ("farmers' market") is a fruit, vegetable, flower and fish market in Funchal, Madeira. The building was designed by Edmundo Tavares and opened on 24 November 1940. The facade, main entrance and fish market contain panels of tiles depicting regional themes, executed by João Rodrigues. It is divided into a number of smaller plazas and stairways that are used as sales venues.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Zona Velha, Funchal, Madeira Portugal
Nightlife in the Old Town is currently a great attraction where art and entertainment come together, as the streets in the area have been transformed by the work of local and foreign artists (through a project entitled “Arte de Portas Abertas”). The project represents one of the facets of urban art and culture in the city.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Igreja do Colegio Sao Joao Evangelista, Largo do Colegio, Funchal, Madeira 9000-000 Portugal
The College Church, dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist, is a must see attraction in Funchal that impresses visitors with its incredible interiors, that includes Madeira's finest baroque and mannerist art pieces.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Colegio dos Jesuitas do Funchal, Rua dos Ferreiros, Funchal, Madeira 9000-082 Portugal
The old Jesuits' College of Funchal, now the University of Madeira's rectory, has witnessed more than four centuries of History. Now it is the focal point for exhibitions, tours and several services available to our visitors.
Duration: 15 minutes
Departure Point :Jesuit College of Funchal, R. dos Ferreiros Estrada, 9000-082 Funchal, Portugal
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.