Old Louisville Ghost Tour as Recommended by The New York Times
Tours daily from March 15 through November 15; limited dates in the off-season!
The fascinating historic district known as Old Louisville has gained national exposure because of its impressive Victorian mansions and quirky residents. Developed in the 1880s and 1890s, it attracted the Derby City's bourbon barons, racetrack royalty, and titans of tobacco. This narrated walk is based on books by storyteller David Dominé, who often shows up to guide groups himself. The tales shared involve personal experiences and neighborhood gossip. The New York Times recommends a tour with him as the first thing not to miss during a visitor's "36 Hours in Louisville."
Specializing in "America's Most Haunted Neighborhood," we depart from the corner of Fourth and Ormsby, at the transitional edge of the neighborhood. If you love old architecture and spooky history, this is the tour for you! If you do not like an up-and-coming neighborhood with a diverse racial make up, this tour is not for you!
per adult from
1 hour 40 minutes
What's included :
- Walking tour
- Certified guide
What's excluded :
- Private transportation
- Entry/Admission - Conrad-Caldwell House Museum (Conrad's Castle)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Old Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Recommended by The New York Times, Louisville Historic Tours has specialized in guided walks through "America's Most Haunted Neighborhood" since 2004. Once home to bourbon barons, racetrack royalty, and titans of tobacco, this transitional neighborhood has a wealth of ghostly lore that attracts supernatural buffs from all around the world. Centered around Olmsted-designed Central Park and the charming residential enclave of St. James Court, this 40-square block historic district is jam-packed with Gilded Age grandeur and hundreds of spooky Victorian mansions. Best-selling author David Dominé loves showing off the neighborhood and sharing stories about his favorite allegedly haunted houses. Come and see what all the buzz is about!
IMPORTANT NOTE: On our tours, you might see things you would see in any larger city across the US; this includes homeless people, panhandlers, or others who do not look like you. If you do not like a diverse neighborhood, this is not the tour for you.
Duration: 1 hour 40 minutes
Pass By: The Filson Historical Society, 1310 S 3rd St, Louisville, KY 40208-2306
Completed in 1905, the Ferguson Mansion only saw one family reside there in its intended capacity. In the 1920s, it became a well-known funeral home and remained as such until the 1980s, when "The Filson" moved its headquarters there. Contact their front desk to find out how to get inside.
Stop At: Conrad-Caldwell House Museum (Conrad's Castle), 1402 St James Ct, Louisville, KY 40208-2127
Constructed in the 1890s, "Conrad's Castle" is an impressive limestone Richardsonian Romanesque mansion the typifies Kentucky's Gilded Age. If you sign up for one of their tours (highly recommended!), be forewarned: you might encounter a ghost - or five.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Central Park, Fourth & Magnolia Avenues, Louisville, KY 40203
Designed by the same genius behind New York City's famous Central Park, this 14-acre green space is the breathing heart of Old Louisville. At night, it can be kind of spooky.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: The Witches' Tree, Park Ave Corner S 6th St, Louisville, KY 40208
Hear the story of why this tree is so gnarly and twisted, and why people adorn it with trinkets, beads, and good luck charms.
Duration: 5 minutes
Departure Point :Old Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- FYI The starting point is in a transitional area where you might encounter panhandlers, homeless people, and people who don't look like you.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- In keeping with local and CDC guidelines, we are keeping our groups small and encourage participants to wear masks. We meet outdoors and stay outdoors for the entire experience.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.