Old Town, Urca, and Sugarloaf Mountain Rio Day Trip
Get the total Rio experience on this tour that goes from old town to downtown, dives deep into local neighbourhoods, and takes you way up high on Sugarloaf Mountain! You’ll embrace the total Carioca lifestyle as you learn how to be a true Rio local – whether that’s by grabbing a beer along the Urca wall, or by taking a ride on the brand-new electric tram. See the local highlights of Rio, such as the city’s Old Town district and the lasting legacy of the 2016 Olympics. Explore the charming neighbourhood of Urca, where the city of Rio de Janeiro was founded. Discover the renovated harbour area and see sites such as Kobra’s graffiti mural and the Museum of Tomorrow. Ride the cable car to the summit of Sugarloaf for amazing views of Guanabara Bay, Copacabana, and downtown Rio.
per adult from
What's included :
- Professional local guide
What's excluded :
- Personal shopping, food and drinks, tips/gratuities for your local guide.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Cinelandia, Avenue rio Branco, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 20031-050 Brazil
If you want to get to know the real Rio, then this is the tour for you! Spend the day checking out historical sites, modern designs, and stunning views as you take in the city’s past, present, and future.
Start in the famous Copacabana area, then ride the subway downtown to Cinelandia Square. You’ll also ride the newest transportation option in Rio, the VLT tram — an electric tram that takes you to the renovated harbor area that's been transformed into the modern Olympic Boulevard. Get off the tram right by the colorful graffiti mural designed by Eduardo Kobra and featuring images of indigenous people from five continents.
Pass By: Guanabara Bay, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro Brazil
From there, head from the boulevard down to the "Museum of Tomorrow," another impressive landmark that’s great for snapping a few photos with Guanabara Bay in the background. Moving along the old streets of Rio de Janeiro’s downtown, you’ll reach the city’s first bakery, where you can treat yourself to some of the yummiest desserts in town.
Pass By: Food Park Carioca, Rua Mariz E Barros 975 Extra Tijuca Parking Area, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 20270-004 Brazil
Moving along the old streets of Rio de Janeiro’s downtown, you’ll reach the city’s first bakery, where you can treat yourself to some of the yummiest desserts in town. After this sugar rush, walk to Carioca Square to take the subway back to Copacabana, where we’ll head to a local spot for lunch (not included in tour price).
Pass By: Urca, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22290-240 Brazil
Walk off lunch with a stroll through one of Rio’s quieter neighborhoods, Urca. You’ll discover the cosy streets of this district that just also happens to be where Rio de Janeiro was officially founded as a city. To reach this area of town, we’ll take the subway to Botafogo so you can experience how locals get around Rio. Hoping off at Urca beach, wander along the coast to the Urca wall. Grab a beer if you like, and maybe sample Rio’s best range of stuffed "empadinhas," which are pastries similar to a pie.
Pass By: Claudio Coutinho Trail, Praia Vermelha Sugar Loaf, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 22290-270 Brazil
Then, it’s time to head to the Red Beach and the Claudio Coutinho walking path, which leads adventurous hikers to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain. Don’t worry if you didn’t bring your hiking boots: on this trip you’ll take the cable car up instead. The summit of Sugarloaf Mountain is the perfect finale for your tour, and the stunning 360-degree view will show you why Rio is known as ‘the Marvelous City.’
Departure Point :Belmond Copacabana Palace, Av. Atlântica, 1702 - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, 22021-001, Brazil
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge.
- Please wear light, comfortable clothing and shoes for walking, and bring a hat and sunscreen.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.