One Day Cultural Heritage And Sightseeing Tour From Sofia To Veliko Tarnovo
This is a one-day slow sightseeing tour by car starting from Sofia, Bulgaria to Veliko Turnovo, one of the oldest towns in the country. You will visit the following places and will stay there enough time to fully enjoy the area: the old town; the medieval fortress Tsarevets; the temple “St. Forty Holy Martyrs” and some other temples nearby; the architectural reservation Arbanasi. The tour will start and finish at your accommodation in Sofia.
10 to 12 hours
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Professional qualified guide
- Transportation by A/C vehicle
- Fuel and parking expenses
- Pickup and drop off from your hotel/accommodation
- Soft drinks /cup of coffee or tea
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Entry/Admission - Tsarevets
- Entry/Admission - Forty Martyrs Church
What's excluded :
- Lunch expenses
- Any personal expenses
- The tour starts at 8.00 AM from your accommodation in Sofia. You will arrive in Veliko Turnovo at about 10.30 and will start first with the sightseeing walking tour in the old town.
In architectural terms, the appearance of the old part of the town will take you in the past. Walking along Gurko street or Samovodskata Charshia (the crafts streets), you will have the possibility to see 200 years old houses and to enjoy the really unique atmosphere of the place. The market street is a kind of an ethnographic complex with crafts workshops, souvenir shops and galleries.
Then you will continue to the medieval fortress Tsarevets, situated on the homonymous peak, surrounded on three sides by the river Yantra. Excavations show that Tsarevets was not a closed fortress, but a real medieval town, in the center of which the following objects were rising: the palace, the church “St. Petka”, multiple residential and public buildings, water reservoirs and battle towers. The Patriarch’s residence was on the highest part of Tsarevets, and the Patriarch’s church “The Ascension of Christ” was also in close proximity.
After Tsarevets you will have lunch time in a nice restaurant. Then you will continue with some of Veliko Tarnovo’s famous temples. One of the most emblematic medieval churches is the temple “St. Forty Holy Martyrs”, constructed in honour of the triumph of Tsar Ivan Asen II (1218 – 1241) over the Epir Despot Teodor Komnin (1180 –1273).
You will continue your sightseeing tour with the architectural reservation Arbanasi, known for the rich history and large number of historical monuments, such as 17th- and 18th-century churches and examples of Bulgarian National Revival architecture.
At late afternoon you will sett off back to Sofia and your accommodation, where you will arrive at about 8.30 PM.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- A maximum of 7 people per booking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.