Operation Market Garden & Hells Highway Small Group Tour
Operation Market Garden was one of the largest Allied operations of the Second World War. It aimed to secure the bridges over the rivers Maas, Waal and Rhine in the Netherlands. During this full day excursion you will go through the area where the Operation Market Garden took place and you will cover a part up and down Hell’s Highway. We’ll drive the road where the 101st Airborne Division had vanquished strategic bridges; (bridges at Son, Best, Sint-Oedenrode and the “Bridge Too Far” in Arnhem). It was their objective to keep the roads between the bridges open. In september 1944 American, English and Polish Airborne solders were dropped in this area to Liberate Europe. The day will inform you about everything you need to know about the Operation Market Garden with stops at Kasteel Heeswijk, Museum Overloon and many more important sightseeings for this tour!
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- WiFi on board
- Museum Overloon entrance tickets
- Entry/Admission - Kasteel Heeswijk
- Entry/Admission - Overloon War Museum
What's excluded :
- Gratuities (these are optional)
- The Wings of Liberation museum is optional!
- Entry/Admission - Wings of Liberation
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Kasteel Heeswijk, Kasteel 4, 5473 VA Heeswijk-Dinther The Netherlands
Heeswijk Castle occupies a prominent position in the Aa valley near Den Bosch, at the stunning heart of the Heeswijk Estate.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Best, Best, North Brabant Province
Drive pass the Hells Highway via Eerdse Windmill, Sint Oedenrode, Son and Best.
Stop At: Wings of Liberation, Sonseweg 39, 5681 BH Best, Netherlands
Lunch in the Boshuys (optional to visit the Wings of Liberation museum in Best if you don’t want to have lunch)
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Overloon War Museum, Museumpark 1, 5825 AM Overloon The Netherlands
The motto of this museum is: War belongs in the museum. Here you can find the history of WWII. In this museum, you can find multiple subjects being represented: How 5 million people lost their lives but also how the people oppressed people resourcefully and of course there is attention paid to the liberation. Also, if you’re interested; you can find a large military hall with 150 vehicles, boats and planes!
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Arnhem, Arnhem, Gelderland Province
To make Operation Market Garden successful, the Allied forces had to claim the bridge in Arnhem. Here is the place where the British (1st British Airborne Division) fought against the German (SS-Panzer Division), however; after a long and desperate fight with many casualties, the bridge in Arnhem proved that this was really a ‘bridge too far’.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Heineken Experience, Stadhouderskade 78, 1072 AE Amsterdam, Netherlands
Traveler pickup is offered
Wait on the side of the main entrance of the Heineken Experience, NOT on the waterside. Departure time: 09:00am
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- Tour Company will oblige by the strict rules and measurements of the Dutch government and the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.