Outlander castles, whisky and lochs tour
Gain a unique insight into the world of Outlander and experience a superb distillery and whisky tasting.
Our Outlander castles, whisky and lochs tours feature a visit to two Outlander castles – Lallybroch , Jamie Fraser's ancestral home , and Doune Castle ( Castle Leoch ) - plus a tour of Deanston distillery , producer of Highland single malt whisky . At each Outlander location your guide gives you the history of the castle and details of the episodes filmed there . Lallybroch is over 500 years old . Doune Castle has 4 claims to move fame, featuring in Outlander , Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the Outlaw King and Mary Queen of Scots .
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private transportation
- in car phone charging
- Entry/Admission - Midhope Castle
What's excluded :
- entrance fees
- Entry/Admission - Doune Castle
- Entry/Admission - Deanston Distillery & Visitor Centre
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Midhope Castle, Near Abercorn, South Queensferry, Edinburgh EH52 6QZ Scotland
Outlander scenes were shot at Midhope Castle near the Hopetoun Estate near South Queensferry.
Midhope was built in the 15th Century and was built by John Martyne, laird of Medhope. It was rebuilt in the mid 1600s and remains much the same today.
Visitors are asked to admire Midhope from a distance as the interior remains largely derelict.
Midhope Castle is the external location for fictional Lallybroch, the family home of character Jamie Fraser , and it is located on the Hopetoun Estate . Midhope Castle dates back to the 15th Century and although the exterior is relatively intact the castle is derelict inside. For Midhope Castle tours booking enquiries and availability check contact us online
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Doune Castle, Castle Hill, Doune, Stirling FK16 6EA Scotland
Originally dating to the 13th Century, Doune Castle near Stirling plays Castle Leoch, home to Colum MacKenzie and his clan in Outlander TV series .
It also features in the 20th century episode when Claire and Frank Randall visit the castle on a day trip. Doune has appeared several times on screen and was widely used in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It also represented the castle Winterfell in Game of Thrones.
Once a Royal residence, Doune Castle was rebuilt by Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany in the late 14th Century.
Visitors spend up to one hour at each location .
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Deanston Distillery & Visitor Centre, Deanston Distillery Near Doune, Stirling FK16 6AG Scotland
Each tour warmly welcomes you into the heart of the distillery, where Deanston makes award-winning Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Here you will see a traditional open top mash tun, gleaming copper stills and a must-see vaulted maturation Warehouse 2B. Join the experienced tour guides on a journey through time, taking you back to the past as a cotton mill and through the evolution of Deanston. The Standard Tour finishes off with a tasting of Deanston 12 year old whisky .
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
free pickup from your Edinburgh hotel, Airbnb or port
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Every vehicle is thoroughly cleaned inside and out before each tour
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.