Pantheon, Raphael and Caravaggio - Private Tour
This engaging walking tour will take you through the streets once frequented by two of Italy’s greatest painters – Caravaggio and Raphael – and into the churches which their works so beautifully adorn.
As you wander through the streets, our guide will fascinate you with the stories of the artists’ lives. Discover the intrigue and scandal of Caravaggio’s tumultuous life, his years in Rome, his exile, and his mysterious death. Learn about Raphael’s prolific life as one of the masters of the Renaissance, tragically cut short by illness.
Inside the churches of Santa Maria del Popolo, Santa Maria della Pace, Sant’Agostino and San Luigi dei Francesi you will take in some of the artists’ greatest works while our guide reveals their secrets. Admire the architectural wonder that is the Pantheon before enjoying a delicious Italian aperitivo.
per adult from
What's included :
- A glass of delicious Italian wine
- English speaking live Guide
- Guaranteed to skip the lines
What's excluded :
- Visit: Chiesa di Santa Maria del Popolo, Piazza del Popolo 12 Campo Marzio, 00187 Rome Italy
The Rome tour begins at Piazza del Popolo, in front of Santa Maria del Popolo that holds two extraordinary works of art by Caravaggio (Crucifixion of St. Peter and Conversion on the Way to Damascus) and is topped by a magnificent dome designed and frescoed by Raphael.
Visit: Santa Maria della Pace, Vicolo del Arco della Pace 5, Rome Italy
We continue our exploration of the historic center in the Campo Marzio district, along Via Ripetta, where Caravaggio famously drew his inspiration from the large number of prostitutes who inhabited the street. From here, we head to the beautiful church of Santa Maria della Pace, taking in Raphael’s fresco of Sybil’s dance and the majestic angels that adorn the ceiling.
Duration: 45 minutes
Visit: Chiesa Sant'Agostino, Piazza di Sant'Agostino 80, Rome Italy
Then we move on to the Sant’Agostino Church to enjoy a painting and a fresco by our two protagonists before moving on to the church of San Luigi dei Francesi, where the trilogy dedicated to San Matteo is kept (some of the most mysterious and intense paintings ever created by Caravaggio). The artist himself had an indomitable character and non-conformist tendencies that bought him a life of persecution and an early and tragic death.
Duration: 30 minutes
Visit: Pantheon, Piazza della Rotonda, 00186 Rome Italy
The last attraction on our tour will be the Pantheon, its unique structure establishing it as one of the most impressive architectural features of the city. It was the first pagan temple to be converted to Christianity and today is home to the tombs of the first two kings of Italy, placed here after the unification in 1861. Between them we also find the tomb of Raphael, whose work became the model of perfection in Renaissance painting, earning him a resting place in one of the most famous attractions of the city.
Duration: 45 minutes
Visit: Piazza Navona, 00186 Rome Italy
Our Rome art walking tour ends with a traditional aperitivo (glass of wine and Italian snacks) where you can taste the local products and discuss the works of Caravaggio and other Baroque artists at a local wine bar near the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Chiesa di Santa Maria del Popolo, Piazza del Popolo 12 Campo Marzio, 00187 Rome Italy
Departure Time :4:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.