Pingla - Village of the scroll painters
Naya village in Pingla is home to 255 Patachitra painters or 'Patuas'. Patuas paint stories in a series of frames on long scrolls of cloth using natural colours and sing the stories as they unfurl the scrolls. They also make diverse products like apparels, stationery items and home décor using Patachitra motifs. Patachitra has received the Geographical Indication (GI) tag. Government of West Bengal's Department of MSME&T, in association with UNESCO, has developed the Rural Craft Hub in Pingla. The village has a Folk Art Centre built by WBKVIB where one can learn about different kinds of scrolls, the stories and marvel at the wide range of diversified products like t-shirts, hand fans, lamps, bags, umbrellas etc. You can attend workshops on Patachitra painting, where you can also learn to make natural colours out of raw materials like leaves and flowers. Every year in the month of November the annual POT Maya festival is celebrated (11th edition on Nov 20-22, 2020).
per adult from
What's included :
- Bottled water - The package will include lunch and tea
What's excluded :
- Guests will be picked up at meeting point in Patachitra Village. From there it will take 3 - 4 hours to visit the village.
Departure Point :Pingla Patachitra Village, Near Indian oil Petrol Pump Pingla, Naya, West Bengal 721140, India
Departure Time :8/14/2021 - 4/14/2022
Monday - Sunday: 11:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 18 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.