Pompeii Ruins & Mt Vesuvius Volcano Day Trip from Rome
Hike up Mount Vesuvius and then explore the UNESCO-listed ruins of Pompeii on a must-do day trip from Rome! Going at a steady pace, the hike includes a walk on the ridge of Italy’s famously feisty volcano, allowing incredible views down into the crater itself. Head to Pompeii to see the havoc that Mount Vesuvius reaped on it in AD 79. Tour the UNESCO-listed excavations, seeing fossils and well-preserved ruins while hearing the horrors that befell this intriguing ancient city.
Mt Vesuvius is inaccessible from November 9 to March 27. During this time, the hike is replaced with a visit to the iconic City of Naples. We’ll take a panoramic bus tour and have some free time to walk around the city centre.
per adult from
What's included :
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Professional guided tour (when option selected)
- Skip the Line Access
- Entry ticket to Mt. Vesuvius (when option selected)
- Entry/Admission - Pompeii Archaeological Park
- Entry/Admission - Vesuvius National Park
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: City Wonders, 00100 Rome Italy
Stop At: Pompeii Archaeological Park, Porta Marina (via Villa dei Misteri), 80045 Pompeii Italy
The eruption in AD 79 spelled a fiery end for Pompeii, but the catastrophe also almost perfectly preserved the port city under layers of Volcanic ash. Thousands of years later, you can still explore the eerie streets and step inside homes, bathhouses and fast food places, as the licensed guide paints a vivid picture of life in the city’s final days.
You’ll travel from Rome to Pompeii in an air-conditioned private coach, accompanied and entertained all the way by your expert tour co-ordinator. Skip the line at Pompeii as one of the site’s own officially licensed guides will show you around the city, painting a vivid picture of life in final days before the eruption. Throughout the ruins, you’ll come across harrowing death casts: plaster recreations of unfortunate citizens preserved by the superheated volcanic ash.
In addition to the guided portion of your tour, you’ll have time for wandering and picture-taking in Pompeii.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Vesuvius National Park, Via Palazzo del Principe, 80044 Ottaviano Italy
It’s a short coach ride from Pompeii to the foot of the volcano that still looms above it. A half-mile hike from the parking lot takes you right to the sometimes still-steaming crater of Mt. Vesuvius – still perhaps the most dangerous volcano in the world. Stand at the epicentre of that ancient disaster and feel awe at the utter devastation it must have caused, to blast an entire city off the map for millennia. Then turn and enjoy the contrast: the crater offers the most stunning view of the sun-drenched Bay of Naples.
In the winter months, when Vesuvius is closed for hiking, the tour travels from Pompeii to Naples, with panoramic views of the volcano and historical commentary from your tour co-ordinator along the way. You’ll have ample free time to explore Naples – a city as vibrant and alive as Pompeii is quiet and affecting – before the comfortable coach returns you to Rome.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Piazza del Popolo, Roma RM, Italy
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- While travelling on the bus, social distancing will be enforced following the Italian government rules, hand sanitizer will be provided and sanitation measures will be applied before and after the service. All customers will need to wear a mask throughout the bus journey.
- The hike up to the crater of Vesuvius requires a good level of general fitness. The walk is uphill at a 14 degree angle and takes roughly 20 minutes.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.