Postojna Cave with Train Ride and Predjama Castle Half Day Trip from Ljubljana
Gems cut out of the rock
One cannot visit Slovenia without visiting Postojna Cave, the largest Karst cave in Slovenia with as much as 24 km of fantastic grid of tunnels, galleries and halls. Starting with electric train taking you inside, like no where else in the World, then proceed for a walking tour.
Not only England, but Slovenia too has its own Robin Hood: Erazem of Predjama Castle was a headstrong and rebellious “robber baron” who stole from the rich to give to the poor. Visit impregnable Predjama Castle that reigns perched high up a vertical cliff.
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- English speaking chauffeur guide
- Postojna Cave entrance fee and guided tour
- Predjama Castle entrance fee and audio guide
- Entry/Admission - Postojna Cave
- Entry/Admission - Predjama Castle
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Postojna Cave, Jamska cesta 30, Postojna 6230 Slovenia
Small group approach with carefully planned time, where experienced local tour operator’s
chauffeur guide will collect you at designated location for an informative hourly ride to
Postojna to start your unique karst experience.
The Pivka river has been carving the Postojna Cave for 2 million years. The water level has
changed over time and created a beautiful "multi-level" underground world filled with
stalactites, stalagmites, columns, curtains and other gorgeous shapes was gradually created
as the water was leaving layers of limestone behind.
The first visitors supposedly came to the cave as early as the 13th century, but the most
beautiful parts of the cave were discovered in 1818. You’ll enter the cave by train. The train
ride takes about 10 minutes, and then you’ll continue on foot with a guided tour. Walk up the
Great Mountain (Calvary) which is an underground hall formed from the collapse of the
ceiling. Stroll under the needle-thin transparent tubes hanging from the ceiling in Hall of
Tubes. Admire the White Hall of pure white stalactites and the reddish colored Red Room.
From under the Russian Bridge you will reach The Concert Hall from where you can see the
amazing white Brilliant – a truly breathtaking sight.
The cave itself is rather peaceful and completely dark without lights. Despite that, around
100 animal species live in the cave! The main attraction is, of course, the proteus, which was
at first mistaken for a baby dragon.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Predjama Castle, Predjama 1, Postojna 6230 Slovenia
Take a break on the terrace of the country inn in front of the defiant, mysterious Predjama
Castle and enjoy its stunning views. The castle is built as an impregnable redoubt, placed in
the gaping mouth of a cavern halfway up a 123 m cliff. The castle holds great features – holes
in the ceiling of the entrance tower for pouring boiling oil on intruders, deep and dank
dungeons, and an eerie hiding place at the top called Erazem's Nook.
After a nice half day experience we will return back to Ljubljana.
Drop off will be at same location as pick up.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Upper Carniola Region
Traveler pickup is offered
All tours: 1. Departure from CITY HOTEL, Dalmatinova 15, Ljubljana2. Are offered complimentary pick up to all accommodation types (Hotel/Hostel/App) within Ljubljana ring or with post number 1000 Ljubljana3. Clients with hotels within pedestrian zone will be redirected to the nearest possible pick up point.4. Complimentary pick up is offered and will be executed only:!If FULL ACCOMMODATION ADDRESS will be provided! Departure point & exact hotel pick up will be reconfirmed to you within 24-48h before the tour with reconfirmation email.
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- At the time of booking please provide a full international mobile telephone number or accommodation telephone number where you can be reached before and on your travel date.
- A minimum of 4 people per tour is required
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Appropriate footwear required; no to flip flops!
- Most travelers can participate
- Dress warm, constant temperature in caves is 10-12°C
- We are communicating with our clients exclusively through the point of booking, in this case TripAdvisor Interface
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.