Private Boat, Kayak, & Hike Adventure
A recent guest did us the courtesy of defining the spirit of how we operate.
"If you're reading this, you've probably had the same experience we have had with some mass-market tour operators. Their excursions often feel impersonal and over-rehearsed. Without hesitation I can tell you that Tim and Mary were the most genuine, most authentically engaging tour operators we have ever had the pleasure of spending time with. I think its because their enjoyment of boating and kayaking around the beautiful islands near Ketchikan is part of their core values. Its who they are, not who they are trying to be."
We go out into the ocean and forest because it is what we love to do. We bring others because we have a passion for sharing the beautiful area we call home.
per adult from
What's included :
- Premium kayaking gear is supplied
- Lunch - A full picnic including wild Alaskan smoked salmon!
- Snacks - Trail bars for while we are mid exploration.
- Bottled water - While we encourage you to bring your own reusable bottle. We do provide bottles for those who do not.
- Rubber boats for coming ashore from the kayaks
- We are happy to accommodate groups of 6 traveling together. Please contact us for arrangements.
What's excluded :
- A brimmed hat is great for rain or shine.
- Active footwear. We are exploring so please wear shoes that you are comfortable getting muddy/wet.
- Base layers. We suggest 2 layers under your jacket. Technical or quick dry materials are best but you’ll have a great time in jeans, sweatshirts, or leggings.
Our private boat & hike tour is for adventurous and physically fit visitors who want to explore the Alaskan wilderness like the locals. This trip includes it all: remote boating, wilderness kayaking, spectacular rainforest hiking, and a wild Alaskan smoked salmon picnic! If you are looking for a plush, low-effort tour, this might not be the adventure for you.
We boat out to the best water of the day and put in our kayaks. We will have the opportunity to view the amazing intertidal ecosystem from a paddles distance away. You can expect to see everything from sea stars, jelly fish, bald eagles and occasionally a humpback whale or orca!
We will beach the kayaks and hike into the rainforest. Both of the Alaska Kayak Company owners are nature nerds. Hiking with one of us through the forest is a touch-and-feel ecology tour of the Tongass National Forest. If the season is right we’ll feast on berries, and if it isn’t, don’t worry, we also bring yummy trail snacks. The trail winds though muskeg, over downed trees, and through pristine old growth.
After we break back out of the trees we will have a picnic beach-side before heading back via boat to the docks where we greeted you.
• Tongass National Forest, Ketchikan, AK
• Inside Passage, Alaska
Departure Point :131 Front St, Ketchikan, AK 99901, USA
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- We want to keep our guests, ourselves, and the community that supports us safe and healthy. We ask that you monitor your health and to adventure with us only if you are symptom free. We hold ourselves to this same standard. Masks will be required while onboard and optional while kayaking and hiking.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.