Private Experience in Kinderdijk Unesco Windmills
You’ve come to the right place if you’re looking for an authentic windmill adventure! World heritage site Kinderdijk is home to the world's highest concentration of historical windmills. It is so authentic that all but three mills are still inhabited by millers and their families.
Start your experience with a comfortable pick-up from any address in (Greater) Amsterdam. Upon arrival, set off on a private guided (walking) tour. Discover the area's historical importance and visit first one windmill by foot (walk 10 min). Climb the stairs inside and learn how a family with thirteeen children lived in this mill back in the old days. The other two windmills are visited by boat and respectively show how a family in the 1950s lived from nature and how that sustainable, medieval engineering actually works. Meet the millers and learn about their trade. After the guided tour you have some personal time to soak in the area's serene and authentic atmosphere -or to shop ;)
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private, comfortable and corona-proof transportation
- Pick up and drop off anywhere in (Greater) Amsterdam
- Admission / Entry World Heritage Kinderdijk
- Private, local guide for 6 hours
- Private guided tour of Kinderdijk, incl. visit three windmills
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly and to maintain social distancing
- Kinderdijk's Canal Hopper
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Entry/Admission - World Heritage Kinderdijk
- Entry/Admission - Museummolen Nederwaard
- Entry/Admission - Museum Molen Blokweer
What's excluded :
- Guide gratuity (up to you!)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Amsterdam, Amsterdam, North Holland Province
Enjoy the comfort of pick-up & drop-off in (Greater) Amsterdam including Schiphol, Amstelveen, Haarlem, 't Gooi, Almere or Amersfoort (or anywhere in between for that matter).
Your drop-off address doesn't have to be the same as pick-up. We have space for luggage in our vehicle, so this experience can be used as transportation at the same time.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: The Netherlands, The Netherlands
Windmills, that's what this private experience for maximum six travelers is all about. After all, the windmill represents the Netherlands perfectly: pragmatic, sustainable and innovative. All but three of the nineteen windmills are inhabited by millers and their families. The traditional complex of the Kinderdijk windmills is the largest in the world and should definitely be visited while in the Netherlands. It takes a transfer of 1.5 hrs to get there, but the enjoyment starts already on the way to Alblasserwaard, the polder that is home to Kinderdijk. Watch the Dutch ‘flat-as-a-pancake’ landscape pass by while your private guide shares all sorts of interesting information about the Netherlands with you.
Duration: 3 hours
Pass By: Groene Hart, Netherlands
The Groene Hart is the area between the major Dutch cities. On the way to Kinderdijk you will notice a huge contrast between the pure Dutch landscape with green meadows with black furred cattle, willow, windmills, historical farms and typical dyke villages and the urban areas around it. The Alblasserwaard, the polder that is home to Kinderdijk, is located on the southern edge of the Groene Hart and surrounded by four rivers. The dyke that embraces the polder was already arranged in 1277 by Count Floris V.
Stop At: World Heritage Kinderdijk, Nederwaard 1, 2961 AS Kinderdijk The Netherlands
There's not a windmill complex like this anywhere else in the world to be found. The area is incredibly important to the Netherlands for keeping the soil dry for nearly a thousand years now. The construction of the dyke that surrounds the Alblasserwaard, the polder that is home to Kinderdijk, was already commissioned in 1277 by Count Floris V. All water management technology from the Middle Ages can be seen here. Now there are dikes, storage reservoirs, historical windmills and modern pumping stations to experience in Kinderdijk.
Upon arrival in Kinderdijk, set off on a private guided tour of the area to experience its serenity and importance. The boat ride that is used to visit two windmills offers a marvelous view with all the windmills in a row.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Museummolen Nederwaard, Nederwaard 5, 2961 AS Kinderdijk The Netherlands
Enjoy a short walk (10 min) to the first of the three windmills that are visited during this private experience: windmill Nederwaard. In this windmill you can climb the stairs and see how miller Hoek, his wife and their thirteen children lived on the different floors of this windmill back in the old days. You can also take the steep stairs all the way to the top to discover how this medieval, sustainable engineering actually works. Now you can meet one of the current millers and ask them anything you'd like to know about milling or milling life.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Museum Molen Blokweer, Blokweerschekade, Kinderdijk The Netherlands
The second windmill that is visited during the tour is windmill Blokweer. Let the skippers of Kinderdijk's Canal Hopper take you to this windmill, that is the oldest of the area and looks much different from all the other windmills. At Blokweer Windmill you learn how millers and their families lived completely self-sustainable in the 1950s. You can even try on a pair of wooden shoes!
Once back on the boat the skipper stop at Windmill Overwaard next. This windmill has only recently turned into a museum mill, but it is an extraordinary one. When the mill was built, This mill from 1740 was the only one of its kind that could grind the water in both directions. At the time they needed more capacity and therefore it was built with two scoop wheels instead of one. When you get off the boat to exlore the windmill, you'll notice that everything in this mill and its adjoining education barn evolves around technology.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick-up and drop-off is offered from any address in (Greater) Amsterdam. We are very flexible with the pick-up address! Calculated from the city of Amsterdam, the pick-up time is around 10:30 am. The exact pick-up time is adjusted accordingly and is based on your preference. A few days prior to the experience we will contact you by email or WhatsApp to finalize the details regarding timings. Drop-off address doesn't have to be the same as pick-up. We have space for luggage in our vehicle so this experience can be used as transportation at the same time!Airports
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Evert van de Beekstraat 202, 1118 CP Schiphol The Netherlands
- Passenger terminal amsterdam, Piet Heinkade, 1019 BR Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Amsterdam River Cruise Port, De Ruijterkade, 1011 Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Passenger Terminal Amsterdam at Elbaweg, Unnamed Road, 1044 Amsterdam, Netherlands
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Your TripAdvisor/Viator booking confirmation is your tour confirmation. In the week prior to your full day experience you will be contacted by WhatsApp or email to finalize the details (preferences, pick-up, timings, etc.)
- 2021 Max group size is 6 travelers, provided they form one household. In case of two households, the max group size is four travelers.
- Pick-up and drop-off in (Greater) Amsterdam, including Schiphol Airport, Amstelveen, Diemen, Haarlem, Weesp, Naarden, Zaandam, Purmerend
- Complimentary use of infant / child car seat(s)
- This experience is customized to your preferences and interests
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- From June '21 this experience is available again as small public group tour departing from Amsterdam -until then only private experiences available.
- Follow us on instagram and DM if you have questions!
- 2020 Winner Netherlands Prestige Awards: 'Tour Operator of the Year'
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- We adhere to local and national regulations regarding the coronavirus.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.