Private Experience to the Royal Flower Auction and Kinderdijk Windmills
Experience, with your own party of max 6 travelers, the hustle and bustle of flower auction hall first. Although nowadays a lot of trading is done online, you still see traders bid against the auction clock. Enjoy a private guided tour from a special gallery and be amazed by the enormous amount of beautiful flowers from nearly 50 countries that are traded every day.
Next is the authentic windmills of Unesco's Kinderdijk. This ingenious system of windmills and pumping stations has kept the soil dry for nearly a 1000 years now. Anyone interested in authenticity should visit Kinderdijk as the majority of the windmills are still inhabited by millers and their families!
Upon arrival, set off on a private guided tour and walk to the first windmill. See how a family with 13 children lived in a windmill back in the old days and climb the stairs inside to the top. The other 2 windmills can only be reached by boat (amazing views!) and are sustainability and technology respectively.
per adult from
7 to 8 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private, comfortable and air-conditioned transportation
- Pick-up and drop-off anywhere in the Randstad region
- Private, local guide for 7 to 8 hours
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly and to maintain social distancing (works with hearing aids)
- Admission Royal FloraHolland
- Private guided tour of the flower auction in English
- Admission world heritage Kinderdijk, incl Canal Hopper
- Private guided tour of the Kinderdijk area, incl three windmills
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Option to customize the experience to your preferences and interests
- Entry/Admission - Royal Flora Holland
- Entry/Admission - World Heritage Kinderdijk
- Entry/Admission - Museummolen Nederwaard
- Entry/Admission - Museum Molen Blokweer
What's excluded :
- Guide gratuity (optional of course!)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: The Netherlands, The Netherlands
Flowers & Windmills, that's what this private experience is all about. After all, these icons do represent the Netherlands. Experience first Royal FloraHolland that is home to the world famous Flower Auction. Watch how traders bid by the auction clock and see how millions of flowers are processed after they've been auctioned.
Next is an authentic windmill adventure at the world heritage windmills of Kinderdijk. It is so authentic that all but three of the nineteen windmills are inhabited by millers and their families. It takes a transfer of 1.5 hrs to get there, but the enjoyment starts already on the way to Alblasserwaard, the polder that is home to Kinderdijk. Watch the Dutch ‘flat-as-a-pancake’ landscape pass by while your private guide shares all sorts of interesting information about the Netherlands with you.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Amsterdam, Amsterdam, North Holland Province
Enjoy the comfort of pick-up & drop-off anywhere in (Greater) Amsterdam including Schiphol, Amstelveen, Utrecht Haarlem, 't Gooi, Almere or Amersfoort (or anywhere in between for that matter).
Your drop-off address doesn't have to be the same as pick-up. We have space for luggage in our vehicle, so this experience can be used as transportation at the same time. E.g. pick-up hotel & drop-off at the airport
Duration: 10 minutes
Pass By: Aalsmeer, Aalsmeer, North Holland Province
The small village of Aalsmeer is home to the world's largest trading center for plants of flowers.
Stop At: Royal Flora Holland, Legmeerdijk 313, 1431 GB Aalsmeer The Netherlands
Early in the morning, this is where you experience the bustle on the floor, watch traders buy by the clock and be amazed by the enormous amount of beautiful flowers from nearly 50 countries that are traded every day. Set off on a private guided tour of the flower auction in English and learn about the Dutch flower industry. After the tour you have some free time to take pictures or shop at the souvenir shop, before making the transfer to Kinderdijk.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Pass By: Groene Hart, Netherlands
The Groene Hart is the area between the major Dutch cities. On the way to Kinderdijk you will notice a huge contrast between the pure Dutch landscape with green meadows with black furred cattle, willow, windmills, historical farms and typical dyke villages and the urban areas around it. The Alblasserwaard, the polder that is home to Kinderdijk, is located on the southern edge of the Groene Hart and surrounded by four rivers. The dyke that embraces the polder was already arranged in 1277 by Count Floris V.
Stop At: World Heritage Kinderdijk, Nederwaard 1, 2961 AS Kinderdijk The Netherlands
There's not a windmill complex like this anywhere else in the world to be found. The area is incredibly important to the Netherlands for keeping the soil dry for nearly a thousand years now. The construction of the dyke that surrounds the Alblasserwaard, the polder that is home to Kinderdijk, was already commissioned in 1277 by Count Floris V. All water management technology from the Middle Ages can be seen here. Now there are dikes, storage reservoirs, historical windmills and modern pumping stations to experience in Kinderdijk.
Upon arrival in Kinderdijk, set off on a private guided (walking) tour to experience the area's serenity and learn about its (historical) importance. Walk first to museum mill Nederwaard, before letting the skippers of Kinderdijk carry you across the glittering waters to museum mills Blokweer and Overwaard. Marvel at the amazing views of all the windmills on a row!
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Stop At: Museummolen Nederwaard, Nederwaard 5, 2961 AS Kinderdijk The Netherlands
Enjoy a walk to the first of the two windmills that are visited during this private experience: windmill Nederwaard. Climb the stairs inside this mill and your guide will show you how miller Hoek, his wife and their thirteen children lived on the different floors of this windmill back in the old days. Your can even take the steep stairs all the way to the top to discover how this medieval, sustainable engineering actually works. Now you can meet one of the current millers and ask them anything you'd like to know about milling or milling life.
Windmill Overwaard has only recently turned into a museum mill and can only reached by boat. This windmill is a special one, as it was the first mill that could grind the water in both directions. At the time they needed more capacity and therefore it was built with two scoop wheels instead of one. When you get off the boat to explore the windmill, you'll notice that everything in this mill and its adjoining barn evolves around technology.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Museum Molen Blokweer, Blokweerschekade, Kinderdijk The Netherlands
Windmill Blokweer The second windmill that is visited during the tour is windmill Blokweer. Let the skippers of Kinderdijk's Canal Hopper take you to this windmill, that is the oldest of the area and looks much different from all the other windmills. At Blokweer Windmill you learn how millers and their families lived completely self-sustainable in the 1950s. You can even try on a pair of wooden shoes!
Duration: 20 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up from (and drop off at) any address in (Greater) Amsterdam incl Schiphol, Haarlem and Amstelveen, Utrecht, Leiden etc. The pick-up time is around 6:30 am (calculated from Amsterdam) because the auction starts at 7:00 am. The exact time depends on your location and is adjusted accordingly. The exact pick-up time is communicated in the week prior to the experience, when we contact you to go over the details of the tour. Airports
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, Evert van de Beekstraat 202, 1118 CP Schiphol The Netherlands
- River Cruise Port Amsterdam or Ocean Cruise Terminal Amsterdam
- Passenger terminal amsterdam, Piet Heinkade, 1019 BR Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Passenger Terminal Amsterdam at Elbaweg, Unnamed Road, 1044 Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Passenger Ship Avanti, Oosterdok 3, 1011 VX Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Utrecht City, Voorstraat 89, 3512 AL Utrecht, Netherlands
- Provincialeweg 302, 1506 MJ Zaandam, Netherlands
- Haarlem Centrum, Centrum, 2011 DA Haarlem, Netherlands
Departure Time :6:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- Your TripAdvisor/Viator booking confirmation is your tour confirmation. In the week prior to your full day experience you will be contacted by WhatsApp or email to finalize the details (preferences, pick-up, timings, etc.)
- 2021 Max group size: 6 travelers, provided they form one household. Max group size for a private party consisting of two households is 4 travelers.
- Pick-up and drop-off in (Greater) Amsterdam, including the Randstad region, Schiphol Airport, Amstelveen, Diemen, Haarlem, Weesp, Naarden, Zaandam, Purmerend, Amstelveen
- Pick-up address does not have to be the same as drop-off address; you can bring your luggage (e.g. pick-up in hotel, drop-off at the airport)
- Also available as small public group tour from Amsterdam Central Station
- Complimentary use of infant/child car seat(s); accessible for foldable wheelchairs
- This experience is customized to your preferences and interests
- During the winter the timings of the itinerary may change due to different opening hours of the venues.
- Both the Flower Auction and Kinderdijk are also offered as separate private and public tours departing from Amsterdam.
- Follow us on instagram to check out our experiences and DM if you have questions!
- 2020 Winner Netherlands Prestige Awards: 'Tour Operator of the Year'
- 2021 Nominated for Travel & Tourism Award by LUX Life Magazine (result in March 2021)
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- We take the coronavirus very seriously and adhere to local and national regulations.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.