Private Gold Mining Adventure in Valle de Ojos Negros
You will be able to visit the only pleasure mine in the entire Ojos Negros Valley in the old capital of Baja California, Real del Castillo Viejo. You will meet in your experience the last pleasure miner (gambusino) Erick Lencioni, you will tour the old mines of the valley where the gold rush began in 1870. You will learn about the process of pleasure mining, enjoy the open-air museum with the objects found in his digs, riding ATVs, enjoying a picnic at the ranch creek.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Motorcycle driving safety equipment
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Private transportation
- Pickup and drop-off from your hotel or B&B in Ensenada
- Local expert English/Spanish.
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Valle Ojos Negros, Baja California, Mexico
Your adventure begins at 7:00 A.M., we pick you up at your hotel or B&B in Ensenada (Not available for La Mision, Puerto Nuevo, Rosarito, Tijuana).
We head east from Ensenada to the Ojos Negros Valley (former San Rafael Valley), 60 km (38 miles) away. It is a journey between magical mountains with impressive geology.
Pass By: Valle San Rafael, Baja California, Mexico
We will visit the oldest valley of the Ruta del Oro in Ensenada, recognized for its agriculture, cheeses, wines and of course the old gold mines.
Stop At: Real del Castillo Viejo, B.C., Mexico
We cross large cultivated fields of fruits, vegetables and vineyards until we reached our destination, a town with the population of 10 people, Real del Castillo Viejo, the first capital of Baja California founded in 1870. This town was the economic center of the region after the discovery of gold in the 1980s.
Upon arrival at our destination, you will meet Erick Lencioni, the last gambusino miner as they are known in the region, with more than 12 years of experience in mining.
First, we enter the Rancho Real Viejo driving an ATV and we go to our first stop, the house of Doña Loreto and the La Loreto mine from 1870. We take a walk along the trails and you will get to know the Loreto mine. Later we will go to the ruins of the house of Ambrosio del Castillo, the first gambusino. At the end of your walk we go to the Joe mine. After that we stop by the creek for our picnic lunch. We end the tour with an activity where you can see the process of grinding stone and washing it by hand.
Duration: 7 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pickup details:Any hotel in Ensenada.B&B in EnsenadaVacational rentals.Departure:7:00 am
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.