Private Guided Tour: DC National Archives Building & Capitol Hill
This private, 5 to 5.5 hour guided combo tour will allow you to explore these two Washington DC icons, maximizing your time in the American capital city.Discover the United States’ turbulent history through works preserved in the National Archives before exploring the architectural marvels around Capitol Hill.
per adult from
300 to 330 minutes
What's included :
- Guided Walking Tour & Museum Tour
- Tour Guide Exclusively For You (Does NOT apply if you choose "SAVE! BOOK SEMI-PRIVATE" option)
- Duration 5 - 5.5 Hours (Including Lunch Break)
- Private Transportation Included Between Tour Locations If Necessary
- Tour Will Run, Rain Or Shine
- Passes to the House of Representatives and or the Senate Provided by guide at the end of the tour.
What's excluded :
- Tour price does NOT include hotel pickup or drop-off (we recommend UBER or Taxi)
- Tour price does NOT include gratuities (optional)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: The National Archives Museum, 700 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20408-0001
Start at the Archives, a neoclassical building that acts as a temple to American history. Once inside, your expert guide will introduce you to the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution while observing the original documents.. These papers, alongside the Bill of Rights and the Federalist Papers, are all signed by the prominent statesmen and founding fathers like Alexander Hamilton. Moving to the Public Vaults Exhibits, you’ll come face to face with letters from George Washington and John F. Kennedy. You’ll even see the Emancipation Proclamation, which, in 1863, led to the abolishment of slavery. Finally, in the Rubenstein Gallery, you’ll examine more historical documents like the Magna Carta of 1297, written well before the United States was even conceived, yet pivotal in influencing the other documents that you’ll experience in the Archives. By the end, you will have witnessed firsthand the humble documentation that created the world’s most powerful country.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Capitol Hill, First St and East Capitil St NE, Washington DC, DC 20004
After a break for lunch, we’ll talk politics and history as we trace Washington DC’s evolution from a swamp to the capital of one of the world’s most influential nations. Explore the City Upon a Hill with a knowledgeable guide who will show you Capitol Hill – the place where it all happens in the United States. Learn about the main buildings including the Capitol and the Supreme Court. Visit the magnificent exteriors while popping inside the Main Reading Room of the Library of Congress, as well exploring Thomas Jefferson’s library and inspecting a real Gutenberg Bible. The tour may include a visit to a courtroom and tickets may be available for a tour of the Capitol’s interior.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Stop At: Supreme Court, First Street NE, Washington DC, DC 20003
Just east of the Capitol you will visit the U.S Supreme Court, the highest court within the hierarchy of courts in many legal jurisdictions. Completes in 1935, you will be able to enjoy the Court’s stunning exterior whilst learn about all the history and tradition tied to it.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave SE, Washington DC, DC 20540
Afterwards you will visit the Library of Congress, the research library that officially serves the U.S Congress and is considered the national library of the United States. The oldest federal cultural institution in the United States, the 1897 Thomas Jefferson building reveals an Italian-Renaissance style architecture. Inside one of the main highlights includes the beautiful circular main reading room with its 160ft ceiling.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: U.S. Capitol Visitor Center, First St NE East Plaza of the Capitol Between Constitution and Independence Avenues, Washington DC, DC 20515
Inside the Capitol lies the U.S Capitol Visitor Centre, a large underground addition to the Capitol complex, which serves as a gathering point for up to 4000 tourists and an expansion space for the US Congress. Here you will be informed about the unique characteristics of the House, the Senate and U.S legislative process, as well as learn about the history and development of architecture of the Capitol.
Our guide will end the tour providing access passes (and information about security protocols) for the visitor’s galleries of the current chambers for the House of Representatives and or the Senate, to be seen at your leisure.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Babylon Tours Washington D.C., 600 Independence Avenue, Washington DC, DC 20560
The capital of the United States, the playground of politicians and presidents, is just as enticing for tourists who want to experience a slice of American history. Our English speaking guides organize private and small group tours to the city’s most important institutions, like the National Museum of American History and the Air and Space Museum. Rub elbows with senators as you stroll the historical monuments on the Mall and learn about the iconic figures buried at Arlington National Cemetery. At Babylon Tours, our engaging guides want to make it clear that D.C. isn’t just for the fat cats on Capitol Hill – it’s also yours to explore.
Duration: 5 hours 30 minutes
Departure Point :National Archives Museum, 701 Constitution Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20408, USA
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :The U.S. Capitol Visitor Center, First St NE, Washington, DC 20515, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- It is imperative that you provide us with guests MOBILE PHONE NUMBER (including country code)
- Notes: National Archives and other attractions or museums in DC may be subjected to occasional closures without previous warning from the museum management. When this occurs, we will provide guests with an appropriate alternative if the museum opening time is delayed more than 1h from the tour starting time. In these cases we are unable to provide refunds or discounts. Appropriate dress is required for entry into some sites on this tour. No large bags or suitcases are allowed inside the museum, only handbags or small thin bag packs are allowed through security. Due to increased security measures at many attractions some lines may form on tours with 'Skip the Line' or 'No Wait' access. Some specific rooms inside the museum are subjected to a very quiet or restricted right to speak inside, in this cases your guide will provide the information about this places before entering the specific rooms where this rule applies. Some collections may vary along the year.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.