Private Guided Visit of Florence Santa Maria Novella Basilica and its Officina Profumo Farmaceutica
The thorough guided visit of a marvelous Renaissance Basilica and its beautiful Cloisters, followed by the discovery of the fascinating setting of an ancient pharmaceutical workshop.
per adult from
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local professional Guide at your side
- Earphones for groups of more than 7 participants
What's excluded :
- Basilica admission ticket to be paid on the spot: Adult: € 7,50; ages 11-17: € 5,00; 10 and under free
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Everything not mentioned as Included
- Entry/Admission - Church of Santa Maria Novella
- Entry/Admission - Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Church of Santa Maria Novella, Piazza Santa Maria Novella, 50123, Florence Italy
Santa Maria Novella Basilica was founded by the Dominican Fathers at the beginning of 1200 and magnificently stands with its splendid Renaissance façade, in the namesake beautiful square. Inside it, you will have the chance to see masterpieces such as the "Crucifix" by Giotto the "Trinity" by Masaccio and the spectacular frescoes by Filippino Lippi and Ghirlandaio and also hear the story of the "mendicant order" of friars who have always been present in this church. Your tour ends inside the elegant "Green Cloister" so named for its beautiful murals in green earth by Paolo Uccello.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella, Via della Scala 16, 50123, Florence Italy
As early as the 14th century the Dominican monks of the Santa Maria Novella monastery, who cultivated the land belonging to the monastery behind the cloisters, were selling rose water to use as a disinfectant, primarily during periods of epidemic. In the 16th century, under the influence of Cosimo I de' Medici and his successors, who took a profound interest in the natural sciences, and with the founding of the first "Giardino dei Semplici” (medicinal plants), the monks began to cultivate a wide variety of plants, distil herbs and flowers and prepare essences, ointments and balms. The current "workshop" at Santa Maria Novella dates back to 1612, a period when apothecaries were plying their trade here, which you will have an opportunity to visit after seeing the Basilica. Here, within the ancient halls that form part of the old Dominican monastery, beneath the vaulted ceilings with their magnificent frescoes and surrounded by the aromatic scent of herbs from the Tuscan countryside, you will be captivated by the irresistible and extraordinary products that are known and acknowledged throughout the world. A real “top must see” amazing place!
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Basilica of Santa Maria Novella, Piazza di Santa Maria Novella, 18, 50123 Firenze FI, Italy
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Customers can be subject to a body temperature check. If the temperature is more than 37,5 °C, the clients are not allowed to access the Tour or Activity. Quota on the entrance to indoor and outdoor spaces: the access will be restricted in order to maintain the interpersonal distance of 1 mt.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.