Private Half-Day Architecture Tour of the Old Town
If you have a curious nature and a hunger for knowledge, this Edinburgh tour around Royal Mile is for you. Discover the mysterious creatures lurking overhead and wander the multitude of atmospheric closes and courtyards, many of which were saved by the town planner and local hero Patrick Geddes.
Find more ins & outs than an Edinburgh local would know, and take in the greenery of Royal Mile’s hidden gardens. To keep up the energy for further exploration of the Old Town, we will break for a meal in a lavish Neoclassical setting of the Signet Library.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local taxes
- Local guide
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Entry/Admission - The Colonnades at the Signet Library
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 2PB Scotland
The group will then delve into foreign architectural influences and the development of Scottish Baronial style as we walk through the serpentine of Cockburn street.
Amid the hustle and bustle of the Old Town social and physical backbone, The Royal Mile, your guide will narrate the story of the city's landmark and oldest building on the street - St Giles Cathedral.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: St Giles' Cathedral, High Street Historic Royal Mile, Edinburgh EH1 1RE Scotland
St Giles Cathedral
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Riddle's Court, Riddles Court 322 Lawnmarket Patrick Geddes Centre, Edinburgh EH1 2PG Scotland
After visiting Grassmarket and admiring the spectacular change of levels on Victoria Terrace, the group will discover a series of historical courtyards full of Scottish Baronial gems, such as James court, Riddle court and Ramsay garden where we will learn about the influence that a visionary biologist turned town planner Patric Geddes had on the Edinburgh Old Town.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: National Museum of Scotland, Chambers Street, Edinburgh EH1 1JF Scotland
Around the corner you will discover the city's latest post modern museum inspired by Corbusian geometries and Iron Age Pictish structures.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: The Colonnades at the Signet Library, The Signet Library, Parliament Square, Edinburgh EH1 1RF, UK
Following a brief introduction of the New Town with a beautiful view towards the Firth of Forth delta, the party will sit down for lunch in a magnificent Signet library that was converted into a restaurant of nouveau Scottish Cuisine.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: John Knox House Museum, 43-45 High Street, Edinburgh EH1 1SR Scotland
We will appreciate the two oldest houses in Royal Mile.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: The Scottish Parliament, Horse Wynd / Canongate, Royal MIle, Edinburgh EH99 1SP Scotland
We will then march down the Royal Mile into Canongate, a previously separate burgh built up with nobles' mansions and sneak into little hidden orchards such as Trunks Close, Dunbar Garden, and Chessel's Court.
Towards the end of the tour you will be able to see how historical architecture influenced sensitive modern development in the Old Town. At last, you will savour the story of the Post Modern Arts&Crafts building - the Scottish Parliament.
Duration: 20 minutes
Departure Point :3 Princes St, Edinburgh EH2 2QP, UK
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Horse Wynd, Edinburgh EH8, UK
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- We use no gear or handouts. Groups are small (up to 6).
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.