Private Half Day Tour from Edinburgh of Three Outlander Castles
Our private group tours take up to four people to three castles used as Outlander filming locations in Scotland .
See Jamie Fraser's ancestral home - Lallybroch ( Midhope Castle ).
Hear Jamie Fraser as he guides you around Castle Leoch ( Doune Castle ).
Doune Castle was built in 1361 and was the setting for Monty Python’s Holy Grail and Winterfell in Game of Thrones . It also provides the setting for Castle Leoch in Outlander.
Depicted as Wentworth Prison, the prison corridors and entrance were used in episode 15 of the first series of Outlander .
Midhope Castle is the external location for fictional Lallybroch , home of Jamie Fraser in Outlander .
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Live commentary on board
- Local guide
- Professional photographer guide to give advice about the best viewpoints for taking pictures
What's excluded :
- lunch and refreshments
- Souvenir t-shirts, phone cases and photo gifts (available to purchase , please ask the driver for details
- Entrance tickets
- Entry/Admission - Private Tours Edinburgh
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Private Tours Edinburgh, Edinburgh Scotland
Tours start at 10 am . Our private group tours take up to four people to three castles used as filming locations in Scotland . We also offer bespoke private tours with the option of choosing your own itinerary .
Doune Castle was built in 1400 for the first Duke of Albany and provides the setting for Castle Leoch in Outlander. It was also the set for Winterfell in Game of Thrones and Monty Python’s Holy Grail. The Great Hall is 20 metres by 8 metres , and 12 metres high to its timber roof, again a 19th-century replacement.The hall has no fireplace, and was presumably heated by a central fire, and ventilated by means of a louvre like the one in the modern roof. No details of the original roof construction are known, however, and the restoration is conjectural.Large windows light the hall, and stairs lead down to the three cellars on ground level.
Depicted as Wentworth Prison, the prison corridors and entrance were used in episode 15 of the first series when Jamie Fraser was brutally incarcerated by his adversary, Black Jack Randall.
The now-ruined palace is set among the spectacular surrounds of Linlithgow Loch and Peel
Midhope Castle - Lalllybroch
Midhope Castle is the external location for fictional Lallybroch, the family home of character Jamie Fraser. Midhope Castle dates back to the 15th Century and although the exterior is relatively intact the castle is derelict inside and not open to the public ..
Scotland’s stunning landscape, with its rolling hills, rugged mountains, picturesque towns and villages, castles and sprawling beaches has provided the perfect backdrop for the world of cinema.
The show is based on American author Diana Gabaldon’s series of historical novels, which sees nurse Claire Beauchamp Randell mysteriously swept back from 1945 to 1743 Highland Scotland where rebellion and romance are afoot. The landscape itself is a character in the show. There’s a particular quality to the light in Scotland, even to the grass and the trees.
The tour spends about an hour at each location .
• Travel by saloon car
• Small private group tour with a maximum of 4 people
Lunch , refreshments and entrance tickets are not included in the price.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
free pickup from your hotel / AirbnbAirports
- Turnhouse Airport, Edinburgh EH12 9DN Scotland
- South Queensferry Harbour, Gote Ln, Queensferry, South Queensferry EH30 9PS, UK
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- every vehicle is thoroughly cleaned inside and out before each tour
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.