Private Luxury Tour of North Iceland-Your own trip
Jump aboard this private day tour of north Iceland, and personalise what see based on your interests and desires. Over eight hours, your guide will take you wherever you want to go in this spectacular, diverse region.
This tour starts when you are picked up from Akureyri, and finishes when you are dropped back off. What you fill the time in between with is entirely up to you. Of course, your experienced local driver and guide can help you make a plan, but if you have certain sites on your agenda you don’t want to miss out on, you are welcome to make your own.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Local taxes
- Bottled water
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Tour escort/host
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option not selected)
- Transportation to/from attractions
- You could choose, for example, to head east, and witness the three spectacular waterfalls along the river Skjálfandafjlót and Goðafoss. In summer, they are picturesque and beautiful, whereas, in midwinter, they are surrounded by snow and largely frozen, making for dramatic sights.
These waterfalls are en route to Lake Mývatn, one of the country’s most diverse and popular areas. Not only is the lake itself beautiful, with its wealth of birdlife and strange geological structures that twist from the surface, but it is surrounded by unique wonders.
Dimmuborgir is one such example, its name translating to ‘the Dark Fortress’ due to the scale of the lava rock formations here. Fans of Game of Thrones, especially those travelling in winter, will recognise this area as the shooting location of the Fist of the First Men. Another unusual nearby feature is the pseudo-craters of Skútustaðagígar, which you can ascend and encircle; more dramatic is the Víti crater at Krafla volcano, which has a dark history of raining fire on the region.
This tour also comes with access to the Mývatn Nature Baths, to break your day up with a revitalising swim.
Travelling further east will take you to Námaskarð Pass, a geothermal area of bubbling mud-pits, steaming fumaroles, and colourful earth, dyed by elements rising from below. This is en route to Europe’s most powerful waterfall, Dettifoss, the force of which must be seen to be comprehended.
If you did not linger too long at any of the above locations, you should also have time to visit the spectacular horseshoe-shaped Ásbyrgi canyon; the size and shape of it led believers of the Old Norse Religion to think that it was created by a stomping hoof of the god Oðin’s enormous eight-legged steed.
While all these wonders lay to the east of Akureyri, there is a wealth to see to the west and north too. You could use the day to witness the beauty of the Trollaskagi Peninsula and the fjords Eyjafjorður and Skagafjörður; to bask in the serene Infinity Pool in the village of Höfsos; or to go seal-watching on the Vatnsnes Peninsula.
This day promises to introduce you to wonder after wonder; which of these you see, however, is entirely up to you. Do not miss this private tour that you can tailor to your interests. Check availability by choosing a date.
Available: All year
Activities: Hiking, Sightseeing, Hot Spring Bathing, Cultural Activity
Languages: English, Icelandic
Highlights: Akureyri, Mývatn, Dimmuborgir, Goðafoss, Eyjafjörður, Skútustaðagígar, Grjótagjá, Hverfell, Námafjall geothermal area, Akureyrarkirkja, Mývatn Nature Baths, Lake Myvatn, Hverfjall, Vogafjós Cowshed Cafe, Bjarnarflag, Sel Hotel Myvatn
Departure Point :We pick you up at your hotel or guesthouse 15 min before departure time of the tour.we can also schedule pickup to the local airport to your flight departure .
Departure Time :recommended deputure in winter is 9:00-9:30
in summer is recommended 8:30
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- A maximum of 6 people per booking
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.