Private New York: LGBTQ History and Culture of Greenwich Village
Drink at the oldest gay bar in NYC and sing with the locals at a café where many Broadway stars go to croon at the piano. Visit the location where ‘the shot glass that was heard around the world’ was thrown: Stonewall Inn, the gay bar that launched the civil rights movement for LGBTQ+ people back in 1969. Celebrate gay history at Big Gay Ice Cream; a fancy cone is included in your tour! Tour the iconic West Village where celebrities, writers, provocateurs and social justice warriors used to call home.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local, English-speaking guide
- One drink at an iconic gay bar (beer, wine or cocktail)
- Ice-cream cone
What's excluded :
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Additional food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: 5 Ave, Waverly Pl., W. 4 St. and Macdougal St. Washington Square Park, New York City, NY 10011
Your LGBTQ adventure begins in Washington Square. Once our formal introductions are done, you'll head to the first stop of the day—Gay Street. Here, you’ll learn the history of this one-time stable alley (hint: the street name has nothing to do with the gay rights’ movement) and see where various gay liberators lived in the area north of Washington Square Park.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Julius', 159 W 10th St, New York, NY 10014, USA
NYC’s oldest gay bar, Julius,’ is next on our LGBTQ agenda. Pull up a bar stool and soak in the atmosphere as you drink in the "love is love is love…"
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: New York City Aids Memorial, 76 Greenwich Ave, New York City, NY 10011-7728
Next, we’ll take a sobering look at the NYC Aids Memorial to honor our sisters, brothers, and others who we miss and will never forget.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Stonewall National Monument, West 4th Street, New York City, NY 10014
Next up is Christopher Street—arguably the most important thoroughfare in the West Village, where we’ll pass iconic shops (such as the Oscar Wilde Memorial Bookshop and Stonewall Inn) and the Stonewall National Monument, the country’s first (and, so far, only) National Monument that honors LGBTQ people and their achievements.
You scream, I scream… it’s time for Big Gay Ice Cream! Our next stop involves a custom cone ice-cream from NYC’s iconic sweet shop, founded by two gay entrepreneurs with a sweet tooth!
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: Cherry Lane Theatre, 38 Commerce St, New York City, NY 10014-3755
Your walking tour then passes by some of the major institutions (Cherry Street Theater! Chumley’s!) that have defined the West Village over the past half-century.
Stop At: Marie's Crisis Café, 59 Grove St, New York, NY 10014, USA
Your LGBTQ adventure ends at a popular piano bar, where you never know who you might spot belting out a Broadway lullaby. Join in, sing out, celebrate! It’s Gay ole New York!
Duration: 40 minutes
Departure Point :Washington Square Arch, Washington Square N, New York, NY 10012, USA
Departure Time :4:00 PM
Return Detail :Marie's Crisis Café, 59 Grove St, New York, NY 10014, USA
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Dress standard: Dress for all weather, including sturdy shoes. We welcome all levels of flamboyancy (or not): beads, feathers, corsets… come as you are!
- Dietary Notes: We can accommodate vegetarians and other dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests.
- If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We'll see you at the start point. In an effort to eliminate waste, we recommend that you upload your voucher on a mobile device. We do not need a physical copy of your voucher. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures have received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.