Private Semmering Railway Hike
We'll hike the route of the world's first mountain railway, the UNESCO listed 'Semmeringbahn', completed in 1854. Breathe alpine fresh mountain air and take in soulful views & wondrous feats of human engineering in Lower Austria's highest region. Suitable for railway, nature & hiking enthusiasts alike, our tour gets you out of Vienna and into the wild.
From beautiful alpine vistas to marvellous viaducts and bridges intricately woven into the mountain landscape. The Semmering Railway is a photographer's dream and one of the best places to go hiking near Vienna.
I am a trained first aider & wildlife biologist, so let me guide you safely through the hills and forests - no organisation, stress, nor clock watching required. Disengage your brain and plug into nature instead!
per adult from
8 hours 15 minutes
What's included :
- Dedicated native English-speaking hiking guide
- Nordic walking poles of various sizes are provided on request
- Return train travel to and from the region
- Entry/Admission - BahnhofCity Wien Hauptbahnhof
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: BahnhofCity Wien Hauptbahnhof, Vienna Austria
We meet at the main entrance of Vienna’s central railway station, the ‘Hauptbanhof’, for initial introductions before boarding the train to Semmering. En route we'll have plenty of time to talk about the upcoming hike and to get to know each other better!
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Semmering railway, 2680 Semmering, Austria
The first stage of our hiking route takes us from Semmering to what is arguably the most famous & spectacular viewpoint of the entire railway, one that was immortalised on the old 20 schilling note used in Austria before they adopted the euro.
Perhaps the most impressive visual spectacle along the entire Semmering Railway (and there’s a lot of competition in this category!) is the mighty two-tiered Kalte Rinne Viaduct. While railway enthusiasts may already be aware of this magnificent feat of engineering, anyone can appreciate how beautifully it has blended with nature, thanks to the visionary designer, Carl von Ghega.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Breitenstein am Semmering, Breitenstein am Semmering, Lower Austria
At the end of the hike, we stop for much deserved refreshments at a traditional Austrian tavern, where beer is served – hooray!
On our return journey back to Vienna we use regional trains to enjoy the rest of the mountain railway and its gorgeous views at a nice relaxed pace. You’ll arrive back to Vienna’s main station at around 5pm.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Südtiroler Platz, 1040 Vienna, Austria
Departure Time :8:40 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please check the weather foreacast for Semmering on the day of your tour and dress accordingly!
- The trails are mostly flat and clear but sturdier walking/hiking shoes are nonetheless recommended
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.