Private tour: Kids in Lucca - Stepping Back in Time to the Middle Ages.
Join a specialized guide to bring the Middle Ages to life for children with this 2-hour kid-friendly tour of Lucca. Walk in the footsteps of the many pilgrims who visited during the Middle Ages to venerate the wooden crucifix called the 'Volto Santo' (Holy Face). Visit the historic Zecca (Mint) where a replica of the coins used in that period will be minted for you. Attempt to discover the secrets concealed in the facades of churches. Have some gelato at the end of the tour.
per adult from
What's included :
- Private tour
- Local guide
What's excluded :
- Ice cream
- Entrace fees to the Cathedral and to the Mint
- Entry/Admission - Lucca's Duomo (Cattedrale di San Martino)
- Entry/Admission - Museo della Zecca
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Lucca's Duomo (Cattedrale di San Martino), Piazza San Martino, Lucca Italy
Meet your guide near the Cathedral of San Martino in the historic center of Lucca to begin a kid-focused walking tour of the city's Middle Ages sights and history. Start at the Cathedral of San Martino, where the beauty of the colors and the intricacy of the designs of its exterior will dazzle you as they did the pilgrims who flocked to Lucca for centuries. Animals, flowers, tales of saints, and a labyrinth will greet you before entering the Cathedral where the ancient wooden crucifix called the 'Volto Santo' (Holy Face) is contained. Through the inquisitive eyes of your child, you will discover all the intriguing legends and miracles associated with these symbols.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Museo della Zecca, Casermetta S. Donato, Lucca Italy
Head for the historic mint where, before your very eyes, replicas of the ancient coins of Lucca will be produced and each child will receive one as a Medieval souvenir. The historic Mint is one of the oldest in Italy (operating since 650 a.C.)
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: San Michele in Foro, Piazza San Michele, 55100, Lucca Italy
At the Church of San Michele (Saint Michael), more investigative work awaits. Attempt to uncover the secrets hidden in its spectacular façade, including stories of mythical animals and ancient legends.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Via Fillungo, Lucca Italy
Stroll through the historic center and charming streets of Lucca, such as Via Fillungo and Via Santa Croce, where you and your children will learn to 'read' the façades of the tower houses that once belonged to the wealthy merchants of Lucca.
After so much work and mystery, it's time for a well-earned gelato break - and of course, only the best gelato in town will do.
Duration: 40 minutes
Departure Point :St Martin Cathedral, Piazza Antelminelli, 55100 Lucca LU, Italy
Return Detail :Piazza Napoleone, P.za Napoleone, 55100 Lucca LU, Italy
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Lucca was not hit badly by the Covid-19 epidemic and currently registers no cases. Our tour takes place, for the most part, outdoors. Nevertheless, we will enforce social distancing and the use of masks until the end of the pandemic.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.